Day trip to Agassiz Peak in the San Francisco Peaks AZ

12:02 p.m. on September 6, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

Yesterday a friend and I went to Snow Bowl at the west base of the San Francisco Peaks. While he hiked to Agassiz Saddle, I rode the Snow Bowl Ski Chair Lift up to Agassiz Peak Area.

Looking back at Kendricks Peak from halfway up the Snow Bowl ski lift

Kendricks Peak from the top of Agassiz Peak at 11,600 ft

Agassiz Pas and a couple of the high points in the San Francisco Peaks to the NE

From the trail at the top of the ski lift looking NE to the peaks

Kendricks and other cinder cones from the top of the chair lift

Indian Paintbrush flowers near the base of the peaks

Aspens at the base of the peaks

Lupine's and the peaks

Kendricks viewed thru a old Aspen branch

Snow Bowl ski area defined, I was at the top of the lift beneath the point on the right at treeline

Self portrait with the peaks..

It was a good day, kinda cool and very windy on top. There were hundreds of tourists all over the mountain that day. The lift takes 30 minutes to go up to its top.

My friend, who drove up from Phoenix made Agassiz Pass in about 3 hours of hiking. He siad his hands got very cold. When he left Phoenix yesterday morning it was 110, at the top of the pass it was about 38 with the wind chill.

6:38 p.m. on September 8, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

That's cool Gary!

I loved the photos, especially the close up of the Aspen tree (photo 8) I would love to see one in person sometimes.

I'm glad you were able to get out and enjoy the scenery!

Thanks for sharing.

9:32 p.m. on September 8, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

Thanks, I was beginning to wonder if anyone looked at or read my posts anymore?

Sign tells of the volcanic mountain and how it formed

View from half way up the Snow Bowl Chair Lift with Kendricks Peak, a large cinder cone

Looking up from half way, the edge of the volcanic crater is seen above the timberline

The volcanic ridge of the San Francisco Peaks crater with un-named peak a false high point to the northeast. Mt Humphrey's is out of sight to the right of the whitish peak. Its 12,363 feet aboove sea level, highest point in Arizona

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply