SP Crater and the N Arizona Volcanic Field

1:47 p.m. on October 24, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,352 forum posts

On Columbus Day my roommate, his girlfriend and I drove up to SP Crater and the Northern Arizona Volcanic Field Area. SP Crater is the second most recent volcano in Arizona to have erupted. It was about 71,000 years ago when it left a 4 mile long lava flow on its northern edge. The flow is about 50 to 180 feet thick.

The volcano is 800 feet high and has very little vegetation yet growing on it. Sunset Crater to the southeast of SP last erupted about 1200 AD.

Below are pictures I shot and photostiched together from the hike we did to SP's Crater rim.

The-northern-Arizona-Volcanic-Field-cindOur first view of the craters that make up the volcanic field. SP Crater is straight ahead on the dirt road. The San Francsoco Peaks are on the left with the seasons first snow on Mt Humphreys.

SP-Crater-and-the-San-Francisco-Peaks.jp

Getting closer to the crater called SP (Shit Pot) a name given by early ranchers.

Sp-Crater-and-the-Northern-Arizona-Volca

SP Crater and some of the other cinder cones.

SP-Crater.jpg

The 800 foot crater with an old lava field on its left side.

800-foot-SP-Crater-showing-the-rim-above

SP craters lava rim shows clearly here.

The-four-mile-long-lava-flow-off-SP-Crat

The four mile long lava flow from 71,000 years ago and the South Rim of the Grand Canyon on the horizon.

Northern-Arizona-Volcanic-Field.jpg

Looking back along the western edge of SP Crater at other cinder cones and the San Francisco Peaks.

The-San-Francisco-Peaks-and-the-N-Arizon

The Peaks from halway up SP Crater.

Two-tourist-vans-at-north-base-of-SP-Cra

Two tourist buses visable on the road thru the lava flow 800 feet below.

IMG_3358.jpg

IMG_3360.jpgIMG_3306.jpg

IMG_3298.jpg

IMG_3305.jpg

IMG_3361.jpg

IMG_3356.jpg

IMG_3364.jpg

IMG_3370.jpg

IMG_3373.jpg

Lava-bomb-on-rim-of-SP-Crater.jpg

Various forms of lava on the rim of the crater

Eric-Toole-and-SP-Craters-inner-cone.jpg

My friend Eric on the left and the rim of SP Crater. We walked around it and it was about a mile round.SP_Crater.jpg

An aerial view of SP showing most of the 4 mile long lava flow.

I plan to get back out there sometime this winter to hike around some of the other cinder cones and see close-up on the lava flow.

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply