Sycamore Canyon to Bear Canyon via Thimble Peak

5:41 p.m. on November 17, 2010 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,154 forum posts

On Wednesday the 10th I woke at about 7 am, had breakfast and packed up at Hutches Pool to head back out from my overnight hike. Below is a video I made of me talking about the hike. Then pictures from the second days hike, 10 miles from Hutches Pool to the mouth of Bear Canyon...

IMG_3652.jpg

Morning day 2, Hutches Pool.

IMG_3653.jpg

Heading out Sabino Basin towards Sycamore Canyon below blue ridgeline on horizon.

IMG_3656.jpg

A granite boulder with a ancient indian grinding hole. The Pima and other southwestern tribes ground Gamble Oak acorns into bread flour.

IMG_3658.jpg

A Giant Saguaro and a old Mesquite Tree. Saguaro's are known to grow 20 years before making there first arm. This one has 6 arms about the same age and a trunk about a foot and a half in diameter.

IMG_3661.jpg

Cholla Cactus fruit ready to eat. Just burn off the hair needles and peel. The hole in the end is where the flower grew before the fruit ripened.

IMG_3663.jpg

Climbing out of Sabino Basin towards Sycamore Canyon, Thimble Peak second from right. Fires burnt thru the basin in 2003, grasses and Mesquites have grown back since.

Lower-Sycamore-Canyon-emptying-into-Sabi

Lower Sycamore Canyon drains towards Sabino Basin right to left.

Burnt-out-tree-along-Sycamore-Canyon.jpg

A burnt out stump is all thats left of a old Mesquite tree along the trail.

IMG_3697.jpg

Stopped at the pass between Sycamore and Bear Canyons.

IMG_3700.jpg
Sycamore Basin

IMG_3705.jpg

Looking back the way I came today. Hutches Pool is in the deep V in the lower center about 4 miles away.

IMG_3711.jpg
The trail head south towards Thimble Peak and where I will have lunch.

IMG_3714.jpg

A balanced rock of Granite up on the ridge above the trail.

IMG_3717.jpg

The Santa Rosa Mountains 60 miles away on the horizon with Tucson and Thimble Peak. At the edge of the grass in the middle is a 1000 foot cliff above Bear Canyon. I sat there and had lunch. Mexico is about 75 miles away south, 15 south of the Santa Rita's.

IMG_3724.jpg

Looking from about halfway down from the cliffs near Thimble Peak towards lower Bear Canyon. The trail is visable on the other side of the canyon.

Looking-down-into-upper-Bear-Canyon.jpg

Looking down into upper Bear Canyon. A Agave Century Plant on the right.

Two-armed-Saguaro-with-Thimble-Peak.jpg

Put 'Em Up!

A Saguaro and Thimble Peak.

Saguaro-covered-hill-above-Bear-Canyon-T
Saguaro covered hill above lower Bear Canyon.

Four-armed-Saguaro-above-Bear-Canyon.jpg

Four armed Saguaro plays Hide & Seek, covering its face while counting to 1000.

Close-up-on-balanced-rocks-near-Thimble-

Another balanced rock...

IMG_3740.jpg

A young Saguaro with no arms holds up its fallen brother(sister?)  Many Saguaros live to a ripe old age, but sometimes die after falling with too many arms.

IMG_3741.jpg

Adult and young Saguaro watch as I I walk down the trail. Is'nt the little one cute?

IMG_3742.jpg
Middle Bear Creek has many pools of water from the October Monsoon rains.

IMG_3749.jpg
The trail switchbacks down a long slope above Bear Canyon.
IMG_3757.jpg

Eventually the switchbacks make it into Lower Bear Canyon. Looking south towards Tucson.

IMG_3766.jpg

Across from the switchbacks is Seven Falls a natural area with falls and cascades with deep pools of water between each one. Its now about 4 pm and the suns shadow rolls over the pools.

Pool-at-bottom-of-Bear-Canyon-Seven-Fall

At the lower end of Bear Canyon the creek ends up in small mirror pools as it slowly decends into the desert below.

IMG_3779.jpg
 Jughandle Arch marks the bottom of the trail out of Bear Canyon, still about two miles away.

IMG_3780.jpg

Fish hook Barrel Cactus awaits the cooling shade of sunset. The Pineapple like fruits with dried flowers are like a lemon taste. Called fishhook because of the curled purple needles.

Sagauros-and-Telephoneline-Ridge-Bear-Ca
Sunset on Saddleback Mountain above Bear Canyon on right.

Saguaro-Sunset-at-the-Catalinas.jpg

Saguaro sunset against the Catalina Mountains around 6 pm.

Edge-of-the-Catalina-s-between-Bear-and-

The sun's last rays of light on Cacti and mountain peaks

11:35 a.m. on November 18, 2010 (EST)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I need to take more picture of my travels. I enjoy looking at others trips. Your area is so diferant than the area I'm in.

12:25 p.m. on November 18, 2010 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,154 forum posts

What part of Oregon is Reedsport in? Where did the name Reedsport come from? I have some friend living in Eugene. I came thru Oregon last in 1977 when I was one the road hitchhiking 8000 miles around the USA. I would someday like to do a bicycle tour down from Washingtons Olympic Coast to San Francisco. Oregon looks the most interesting!

1:17 p.m. on November 19, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

Gary, Great Photos and Thanks for Posting for so much did enjoy.

Have a Good Day!

September 21, 2014
Quick Reply