New snow on the peaks

10:50 a.m. on November 23, 2010 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,352 forum posts

Yesterday night we got lots of new snow, first bunch of the winter season on the San Francisco Peak here north of Flagstaff.

San-Francisco-Peaks-Nov-22-2010-sunset.j
Last evening the orange Alpine Glow at sunset.

IMG_0002.jpg

This mornings sunrise and the downtown skyline.

2:05 p.m. on November 23, 2010 (EST)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Last night we got snow on the Oregon coast. Very rear for this time of year, or at all for that matter. And they are talking lows into the low 20s. Thats not what  I want. Its nice seeing snow on the peaks around the coast but not on the coast itself. Good thing I've gotten ready for cooler camping this year.

2:15 p.m. on November 23, 2010 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,352 forum posts

I have friends in Eugene OR. Its 32 here today. But sunny.

6:43 p.m. on November 23, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
247 forum posts

Gary I had sunshine today too, but it lasted only for 10 minutes even the sky was clear. Reason? These sunrays were the last sunshine for two months as we have the polar night here now, staring today.

But the good thing is that we have fantastic skiing conditions now! -4c and 20cm of snow. I even had me a tour today with the dog. Put the skis on in the front porch, and took a 15 km tour. So far I have "logged" 100km already. It seems to be a good sking season this winter. (Just to make you jealous) :)

6:55 p.m. on November 23, 2010 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,352 forum posts

Last year we had 5 feet in four days that lasted most of the winter, most snow in about 40 years. In 2007-08 Jackson Hole WY had 650+ inches (54 feet) total snow. Winters here are generally dry and cold.

8:39 p.m. on November 23, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
247 forum posts

GP when you say 54 feet total snow, I guess it was not a snowpile of 54 feet that you could walk on rather the total snowfall. We do not measure this here, just the amount laying on the ground. As a rainfall comes after a snowfall the amount on the ground sinks down. Our record snowamount in habitated areas is 10 feet (Tromsø may 1997), and one does not measure snowdrifts.

We have btw a fantastic site for met info in http://www.senorge.no/mapPage.aspx Just switch to english text by using the flag upper right. It holds data from 1957 up till today. I guess we both were young then, I was 10. I'm sure BigRed has used the site on several occations when planning trips both summer and winter.

1:57 a.m. on November 24, 2010 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

Yes except the snow maps are calculated from models rather than actual measurements and so aren't all that accurate. I've been out in Estnstadmarka when the map said there was only 25 cm and there was more like 1m, and in December 2006 when we had desperately little snow used the snow maps to select a mountain area where there should have been enough snow to ski, but there wasn't. We drove 4 hours then just turned around and headed home. Still, they give some useful information.

11:06 a.m. on November 24, 2010 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,352 forum posts

Yes, I was quite young in 1957, I was one years old, born January 1956.

The-town-of-Jackson-and-the-Tetons-from-

This shot I took in August 2008 shows snow still above tree line from the 650+ inches from the previous winter. There were still 20 foot snow drifts above 9000 feet during late summer and winter camping regulations in effect for much of the Teton Crest Trail which is between 9000 and 11,800 along the route.

This is from the top of Snow King Mountain on the southern edge of Jackson below. The green area to the upper right of town is the National Elk Refuge. The long brown hills on the upper left are the Gros Ventre Buttes. I am about 1200 feet above town looking north. Yellowstone Park is just over the far edge horizon in upper right. Snow King chiar lift is visable down the lower middle.

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply