Coyotes and the Sleeping Indian

11:20 p.m. on January 3, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

Shot about 7 am August 14th 2007 in Jackson Hole Wyoming, I was looking at the mountain called the Sleeping Indian when a family of Coyotes began barking during the early morning hour's.

Sleeping-Indian-Mtn-at-sunrise-Aug-2007.

This what I was after, sunrise over the Sleeping Indian Mtn.

Then as I walked back home to town the Elk ran across the road ahead of me...

3:44 a.m. on January 4, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

Nice Gary! Now I know what I have been missing by nit going to Wyoming. Makes me put it on my list of place's to see and hike.

3:40 p.m. on January 6, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

In my humble and not worth much opinion this is one of your best posts, Gary.

6:14 p.m. on January 6, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

Thanks Awwman! Ever been up to Wyoming? Its my favorite place outside of Alaska and Utah.

6:52 p.m. on January 6, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,481 forum posts

Very cool Gary!

Thanks

9:11 p.m. on January 6, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

Jackson-Hole-with-Grand-Teton-the-town-o
Yes, It was a very nice mornings walk. I was about 4 miles from my house in Jackson where I went to see the sunrise over the Sleeping Indian. Old timer's call it Sheep Mountain as there are Mountain Sheep, Big Horns on it generally. I have hiked up to the belly section. There is a lake just below the nose area.

Sheep-Mtn-or-The-Sleeping-Indian-along-t

This what The Sleeping Indian looks like on a topo map stretching diagonally across the map from upper left near Gros Ventre Lake to lower right above Flat Creek Lake. The main mountain is along the name Gros Ventre with the nose just below Blue Miners Lake near the center. The nose tops out at 11,239 ft. The town of Jackson is about 5 miles to the SW and Grand Teton is about the same distance away to the NW.

2008-best-pictures-of-the-year-JH-080.jp

Looking northeast from Jackson along Flat Creek, the Sleeping Indian is on the horizon just left of the tall blue ridge on right.

2008-best-pictures-of-the-year-JH-047.jp

Viewing the Tetons from east Jenny Lake with an Elk Cow in the forground. Grand Teton is the lighter blue peak against the sky. The one to its left is called Teewonot.

2008-best-pictures-of-the-year-JH-067.jp

Another view of the Indian from middle Flat Creek Canyon road.

2008-best-pictures-of-the-year-JH-105.jp

View of the Tetons from the Sleeping Indian Mtns flanks. Snow and treeline is about 9000 feet. Mt Moran is on the right and Buck Mountain is on the left.

2008-best-pictures-of-the-year-JH-186.jp

An old homestead cabin with the Tetons to the west.

2008-best-pictures-of-the-year-JH-263.jp

Another Sleeping Indian sunrise during the summer of 2008. The Indian still has his blanket of clouds around him.

Grand-Tetons-and-the-Antelope-Flats-Buff

Home, home on the Range... Buffalo graze in Jackson Hole (named for Mountainman Davy Jackson) and a "Hole" was what French Trappers called a valley completely surrounded by mountains. Grand Teton means Great Breast in French. Teewonot was the local Indian name.

11:57 p.m. on January 6, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

Awesome trip report Gary.. I really need to go to Wyo sometime next year.

9:21 a.m. on January 7, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I spent a week out in Wyoming last September. Now I have this annoying urge of "MUST GO BACK! MUST GO BACK!" :)

1:55 a.m. on January 10, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Nice! That's like getting the best chip in the bag of Doritos! And then another one right after, without having to eat another half bag first.

Cool stuff. Just reaffirms my need to get the hell outa Jersey.

11:20 a.m. on January 10, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

JerseyWreckDiver, Is that just a nickname or do you actually dive on wrecks in the Atlantic?

8:43 p.m. on January 11, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

I'm an avid diver, and the North Atlantic off NY/NJ is one of the oldest/biggest shipping graveyards there is. It's an expensive sport and the way the economy has been the past few years has kept my diving to a minimum but I've been diving for years here.

12:14 p.m. on January 13, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

Jersey wreckdiver- were you diving off the Prot Elizabeth or Brooklyn? Island by chance and down by Sandy Hook? I know alot of people dive by the shore... I got out of triathlons and biking because the cost was just going thru the roof on new bikes...Climbing i have alot and its not much to replace at times like backpacking,,

9:35 p.m. on January 16, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Port Elizabeth or Brooklyn? Not sure if you mean the places or if there are boats by that name. No, I do most of my diving out of Belmar, Shark River inlet, and occasionally Long Beach Island. Used to dive off the Outlaw charter boat and now more often than not the Gypsy Blood.

I feel your pain. Just waiting for the economy to kick back in and get back in the water more often. Going to try to do a bit more shore/inlet diving this year. Once you have the gear, it's mostly maintenance costs and air fills. The boat charter fees are what kill ya, especially when fuel costs go four times what they used to be.

1:25 a.m. on January 21, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

Yeah I grew up down on the shore. My father and his friends dove all the time. His best friend was a Coast Guard chief at the HOOK... We have friends that own a house in Jones beach right next to the old coast guard station..I was there this summer for the Fourth,,,real nice!!! Cant blame ya wanting to dive..

3:25 p.m. on January 23, 2011 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Gary, the Elk video was awesome and loud! My son just told me it would have been "really cool" if at the end there was a T'rex in hot pursuit. Kids!!!! Wyoming looks very beautiful and calming. Maybe one day I can plan some trips back to the states.

9:27 p.m. on January 29, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

Thanks! They were running because I was on the road. And as you can see there were hundreds. They come down out of the mountains in the winter when the snow is too deep in the high country. The town of Jackson feeds them hay and pellets all winter, there are sliegh rides out on the refuge so tourists can see them up close. Then in the spring when they shed their antlers the boy scouts go out and collect them, and sell them at auction in mid-May during a big weekend event in downtown Jackson.

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply