Family Winter Hike in Imsbach, Germany

10:23 a.m. on January 23, 2011 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

The kids (10 and 14) joined me for a day hike on Saturday at Imsbach, Germany. The place was first populated by the Celts, then the Romans, and finally by the Germanic people. The area has mountains, hills, forest/hills, caves, deep lakes/ponds, mines and swampy water holes. Please check out my album "winter hike" in my profile. I would love to hear from other families about their favorite areas and see some of your photos.  

2:34 p.m. on January 23, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,168 forum posts

Interesting pictures! What the story behind the shot of an entrance with a exit on the other side. Is that modern trail cut to get past a cliff?

Into-the-Mountain.jpg

2:45 p.m. on January 23, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,065 forum posts

Love the pictures D-Dog! could you explain the mine area a little more? Also what your doing with the Kids plaese keep it up...It's difficult to get children here to understand hiking is a good thing...Also I take it you take them to Garmisch as well?

3:11 p.m. on January 23, 2011 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

GaryPalmer, Yes a path was cut into the mountain so hikers can hug the cliff as the trail winds up to the top. The trail is like that all the way up. Only problem is that small streams fall over the cliffs and unto the trail, which can be a bit slippery. The picture looking up a break in the cliff had water coming down behind the leaves. The white on the cliff pictures are ice from the falling water. Oh, in the Alps (mostly in Austria though) there are hiking trails that go up the mountains without having to climb. There are bridges and railings to keep you safe. So if anybody wants to go to the Alps and not have to climb, it is possible.

Denis, the mines have been around since the Roman Empire ruled Germania. You can take a tour through the White Mines, but the original Roman mines are too dangerous to explore. Copper and silver were mined even into 1900's, but the mines were closed in the 1900's. On top of the mountain are Celtic ruins, in fact a whole city was located at the top are a couple thousands of years ago. I am going hiking in that area next weekend. I will post more pictures. I know that parts of the city wall exists. Yes, we enjoy camping in Bavaria. We like to visit the castles down there. The alps are really awe inspiring. The goal this year is the black forest trails.

3:25 p.m. on January 23, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,065 forum posts

Bavaria was my favorite state of all of Germany...The tip on the Black Forest.If you ever plan on coming back to the states wash your Gear..You need to clean it all..Shoe's included I dont know if you know this but they have a micro parasite in either the soil. When I was last there with the Military and my brother as well customs requires it...I thought it was just a story till I got to College and a Botany proffessor who was studying Europe said it was reality and true...they dont want any contamination of American soil from what I gathered..But I look forwrd to your pictures and outings.There great!!! Love the history you have to share as well...

6:33 p.m. on January 23, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,485 forum posts

I enjoyed the photos and hearing of your hike with the family, I would love to tour Europe someday, maybe when our house is paid for.

That looks like a very cool place to explore!

One of the reasons I love this website is because I can read about, and see photos of trips by Trailspace members in several different countries.

Thanks for posting.

October 2, 2014
Quick Reply