Winter Hike on Donnersberg, Germany (Thunder Mountain)

12:11 p.m. on February 13, 2011 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Please check out my photos on my profile with album labeled Donnersberg Winter Hike. We enjoyed a awesome trip atop the Donnersberg (Thunder Mountain). Highest point is 2,231 feet. The area was first settle by the Celtic people. They build a large city, which only the walls are left. The area was later settled by barbaric Germanian tribes and the Romans. Lots of history. The mountain is actually a dead volcano that last erupted in prehistoric times. I have found fossils of shark teeth on the mountain. The area was actually underwater millions of years ago. I can see the mountain from my house, which is surrounded by hills, mountains, and lots of woods/forests. You could hike your whole life in this area and not see everything.

12:15 p.m. on February 13, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,133 forum posts

How old is that Celtic Wall?

My great grandparents on my mothers side were originally from Germany, last name Flickinger

12:27 p.m. on February 13, 2011 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Gary, I will have to check at the museum. I know the area was settled BC, so it must be over 2000 years old. The Celtics originated from Eastern Europe and migrated till there was no land left (British Islands). I have relatives from Homburg on my father's side. My wife's mother is German, and her family  comes from the Polish border and the local area.

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply