First Major Group Hike

6:53 p.m. on February 15, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Hi, just wanted to share some pictures and gear list from our first major group hike that we did a few years back. This was a portage in Central British Columbia, south of Houston, BC.

It involved 3 portages and 4 lakes. For this trip, which was not the first time for me but for most of the group, our gear included a rag-tag mess of equipment.

Just the tent and sleeping bags for me and my wife weighed in at an aweful 35lbs. I had an old Outbound 85ltr pack and my wife used my Eberlestock Gunslinger which was 3100cc pack. I had all the food and pots and a cast iron grill, yes it was heavy!! My pack was about 90lbs total. Hers was 60lbs. We also had a cooler with ice and a bunch of beer. Crazy Right!

The portages were relatively short 1.5km, 800m, and 2.5km. So not toooo bad. As you will se we had awesome weather, no wind and the temperature averaged 90 degrees.

Now on to the pictures: These were taken in 2009.

My aunt and Uncle with their stuff. their canoe was an 18' it was a sweet ride, they barely had to paddle.... This was on the first lake- Lampry.
Sept-17-003.jpg

This is the 3rd lake after a 800m portage.
Sept-17-018.jpg
This is the 3rd lake after a 800m portage.

The Crew at our base camp on the third lake- Stepp Lake

Left to right: Darhl, Quentin, Jayda, Lana, Me, Rachel
Sept-17-039.jpg

This if my wife Rachel, Look at the sleeping bag, that was 10lbs on its own... we had two of them. That tent was 10lbs too....
Sept-17-049.jpg

Views from our camp.
Sept-17-063.jpg

Sept-17-075.jpg

Us on the trail to Kidprice Lake, a 2.5km hike... we had to go back for canoes too, Jeremy and Walter have now joined up with us.
Sept-17-141.jpg

All of us in front of Kidprice Lake
Sept-17-085.jpg

Uncle Dahrl fishing in Kidprice
Sept-17-144.jpg

Infront of Nanika Falls
Sept-17-036.jpg
Nanika Falls
Sept-17-026.jpg

Me and My lovely Wife at the top of Nanika Falls
Sept-17-020.jpg

Fishing downstream of Nanika Falls
Sept-17-031.jpg

Us back at base camp, we had a few beer, look at Walters face....
Sept-17-129.jpg

Look at this awsome table Darhl built... I think Jayda likes it to, or is it whats on the table she likes????
Sept-17-105.jpg

This was on our way out, this looks back to where we camped, way off in the distance about 6km is where we were.
Sept-17-152.jpg

Last years trip (2010) an the Monkman trail I'll have up soon. Hope you enjoyed.

9:49 a.m. on February 16, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, Sean! What a great trip, you and your wife are a wonderful looking couple- it is great to find a woman who will go on the outdoor adventures with you.

How long was your trip? I hope it was for several days at least, to make up for all the hard work to get there :)

11:11 a.m. on February 16, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, we were at our little base camp for 3 nights. Our last day in there we took it easy on our way out and camped on Anzac lake. You can see two campsites on Anzac, we stayed at the one near the portage trail at the west end of Anzac. We were in there a total of 5 days. It was awesome, weather was absolutly perfect, and I mean PERFECT.
Nanika.jpg

11:17 a.m. on February 16, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I messed up the order in this picture

Its Dahrl, Quentin, Jayda, Rachel, Me, then Lana...
Sept-17-039.jpg

Sept-17-085.jpg
Left to right

Lana , Dahrl, Jayda, Quentin, Rachel, Me, Walter, Jeremy

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply