Dayhike - AT NJ - Millbrook rd to BML rd - 3-2-11

10:36 a.m. on March 3, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

(posted this on another site as well, but cut and pasted it here too for anyone interested)

AT NJ - Millbrook rd to BML rd out-n-back 3/2/11
slideshow - http://outdoors.webshots.com/slideshow/579839552oqIvjE

8 miles total.

Still 50/50 snow coverage, some up to 12'', some trail totally clear.

Started off sunny @ 8am, 28 degrees.... got windy, then cloudy, then a few snowflakes, then sun again, temp climbing to upper 30's.

Broke out the supercat and had a hot lunch and coffee @ the BML turnaround.

Saw a tree that appeared to have been freshly tore up by a bear, a herd of deer up close, and a woodpecker going to town on a tree.

Beautiful ridge hike.

GPS Log says:
total ascent - 1479 ft
max elevation - 1541 ft
7.73 miles
total moving time - 3hr 17min
2.4 mph moving avg

We had a nice relaxing day and actually spent more time stopped than moving, but enjoyed all of it.

I guess the next section will be from BML North.
Chipping away at it a little bit at a time.

Hope you enjoy the slideshow, if you click on "my journals" under my screen name it'll take you to my webshots photo albums where there are a few other slideshows of hikes to see.

jd

10:05 a.m. on March 4, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I really enjoyed your photos. It is amazing how similar the landscape there is to areas of the Appalachian foothills here in the tristate area (TN,GA,AL) .

9:26 p.m. on March 4, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

Glad you enjoy them, I enjoy taking and sharing them too.

12:57 p.m. on March 8, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

What was the purpose of the US flag on the powerline area?

3:45 p.m. on March 8, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

I would have to imagine it had some special significance to the person/group that went through the trouble of epoxying the shaft into a hole in a rock.

For me, well I didn't know the American Flag needed a "purpose" other than representing the greatest nation on the planet.

It didn't come into site till we rounded the top of the knoll after climbing the trail leading up the power lines.

When I first saw it a feeling of pride came over me.

I think it served it's purpose (for me anyway)

Thanks,

jd

4:17 p.m. on March 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Dave,

Thanks for the pics. I am going up that same hike in the next week or two. I was just on Mt. Minsi on Tuesday (3/22.) Love the DWG.

Joe

9:20 p.m. on March 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

It's a fairly easy and enjoyable hike.

A couple rocky sections, but nothing too painful.

Enjoy, and welcome to the site.

jd

9:10 p.m. on April 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

I was hoping to get this hike in tomorrow (April 5th) but the weather may have other ideas.

5:03 a.m. on April 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

WTH is BML?

(I know NJ, NY, GPS, AT, etc.; ... but, pls be more explanatory.   What you know as 'first-hand' and everyday / generic, does not mean everyone else is acquainted with various acronyms ).

r2

9:18 a.m. on April 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

I made the mistake of thinking that anyone looking into a hike in the area would see that BML rd is clearly spelled out as BLUE MOUNTAIN LAKES ROAD on every trail map and guide book that covers the area.

I was trying to shorten the title and felt that nearly everyone that read it could certainly figure out that the "rd" stood for road since it's a fairly common abreviation.

Sorry for MY laziness

7:26 a.m. on April 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Is OK.

Robt

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply