Otterberg Forest

9:11 a.m. on April 3, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Here are a few photos of the hiking trails outside Otterberg, a town that has been around before the middle ages. The trails were first used by hunters since that time. Now the trails are popular for day hikes, horse back riding and Nordic walking.

10:19 a.m. on April 3, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Otterberg Forest:

SAM_0520.jpg
My first rest area after a few hours of hiking. Notice the green emergency sign in case of injury. The sign has a number to call.

SAM_0521.jpg

Nordic Walking is very popular here. It is a cardio workout with Trek Poles. You also learn to stretch with your poles before you start walking.

SAM_0528.jpg

Beautiful horses

SAM_0525.jpg

SAM_0522.jpg

SAM_0523.jpg

SAM_0530.jpg
A break in the forest.

SAM_0529.jpg

SAM_0524.jpg
Not sure why, but someone made an overhang and then built a campfire underneath.

SAM_0526.jpg

SAM_0527.jpg
The path goes straight down....

11:09 a.m. on April 3, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

Thanks D-Dog I like your trip reports....thanks for shareing...

1:11 p.m. on April 3, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Thanks for taking the time to post the photos!

How long was the trail you hiked?

Also, how is the weather there this time of year?

Thanks.

1:46 p.m. on April 3, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

The hike was a loop trail about 17 kilometers, which is about 10 and half miles. Well at least that is what my GPS said I traveled. We have a baby now, so I have to cut my weekend hikes down to half days. Or, one longer day. My older kids did not want to go, so I went solo today. I saw various types of scenic forests and country side as you can see in the photos. I look for areas that offer variety and various elevations. Makes it more adventurous for myself. Today was in the high 60's and partly cloudy. It was suppose to rain today, so I guess I was lucky. Next week I am thinking about hiking on the King's trail outside the city of Kaiserslautern. The route will take me to a castle at a high elevation. The local King created these wooded trails for his people a very long time ago. Or, maybe go to Wolfstein, which also has lots of trails, a ruined castle and caves. I have never hiked there, and I love caves. Now that I think about it, Wolfstein does sound more fun......

5:08 p.m. on April 3, 2011 (EDT)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Man that place looks peaceful. I hope my my candidacy get retained for a job in europe this summer... Thanks for the pictures.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply