1st Day Hike

10:25 p.m. on April 18, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I did a short day hike on the Chattooga Trail today. Started at noon and walked about 3 miles, then had lunch and headed back to the car. Made it back around 3:15. I carried my lunch and water in a waist pack, the walk was fairly easy. Rolling up and down, crossed 19 little run offs. It was far better than walking in the Florence area. I am so glad we finally got out of that area. Oh, I caught a trout on spinning gear, first one since the late 70's.

10:48 a.m. on April 19, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
603 forum posts

sounds like a great day Mike

12:09 p.m. on April 19, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
573 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

Any time on the trail is a good thing!

1:42 p.m. on April 19, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Glad you got out, and that you are liking your new environs! I have loved fishing since I was about 3 years old, and had caught thousands of fish by the time I was 15. But I vividly remember the first time I cought a trout, it was amazing :) I don't know why, but there is something special about landing a trout.

6:33 p.m. on April 19, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

I'm glad you got to get out Mike!

I'm curious, which trail section did you hike, do you remember any place or road names? Burrels Ford rd.....Ellicott Rock....East Fork?

Save some fish for me.

Maybe we could do an easy hike together sometimes, I head up that way often.

11:03 a.m. on April 20, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Trout, the trail started right by the bridge on 28, just before you get into Georga. A few days ago, several people were just heading up the trail, they said they were going to spend the night. They also said that it was a trail that they could take their dogs on. I seen as sign that said it connects to the Foot Hills trail. And that would be great to hike together, anytime.

12:00 p.m. on April 20, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Gonzan, I remember my first trout, in Feb. I hit a tree sledding, ruptured my spleen. My borther pulled me back to the house, parents were not home. I layed on the bed for a while then told my brother to call the police. I spent 21 days in the hospital, that April 15th I got to go trout fishing for the first time. Got 5 nice big trout out of North Park Lake on worms and a bobber. That was in 1964. I just joined TU, waiting for my packet.

7:49 p.m. on April 20, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

Yep, the Chattooga Trail intersects with the Foothills trail about 4 miles from Hwy 28. There are around 10-12 stream crossings in that 4 miles.

I'll let you know a week or so before I head up that way, I would love to hike some of the trail before it gets really hot.

November 26, 2014
Quick Reply