1 forum posts
Run for the Wildlife in Mauritius
The DodoTrail goes through forest areas that are also the last homes of some very rare and endangered Mauritian birds. Mauritius has suffered many flora and fauna extinctions some only dates back to 1990ies and the country is ranked today as having the 2nd most endangered biodiversity in the world. It is also the country in the world that has saved most species back from almost extinction through the conservation efforts by the MWF. However, as the native forest of Mauritius continues to degrade due to foreign invasive plants and animals and human development active conservation work is still needed in order to save the last endemic birds and well as their habitats.
Every runner can choose “to run for” an endangered Mauritian bird (see the list here-under) and thus help the local NGO Mauritian Wildlife Foundation (MWF) in its continuous work to save these birds from extinction.
1. The runner chooses 1 of 5 birds from the list (below, next to, hereunder) when he makes his inscription; he then becomes a symbolic “Bird-Adopter Runner”. The runner is welcome to invite friends, family, private companies or anyone else to sponsor his “Bird-Adoption Run” and the sponsor then gives a donation directly to the MWF. (The runners do not pay a donation but the sponsors do).
2. The list of the Bird Adoption Runners will be communicated on the Dodo Trail web-site, the MWF web-site and in the press. This will also give the opportunity for any other sponsors to help the wildlife by supporting a “Bird Adopter Runner.
Amount of donation: Any amount is welcome; there is no minimum or maximum amount of the donation.
How to send the donation: The sponsors will send the donation directly to MWF by either:
- Sending a cheque or postal order, made payable to Mauritian Wildlife Foundation,
- Making a donation on-line at http://www.mauritian-wildlife.org/donate
- Making a bank transfer to Mauritian Wildlife Foundation, Mauritius Commercial Bank, Port-Louis, Mauritius Swift BIC: MCBLMUMU / Account Number: 010204792, IBAN: MU52MCBL0901000000204792000MUR
•The donations can be made as from 20/04/2011 and latest the day before the run (29/07/2011)
•Please use the reference “Dodo trail” and the name of the runner when you send the donation.
•The sponsor will receive a certificate of payment so please inform of name, address or e-mail when donating
•All sponsors and bird runners will be listed on the donor lists of the Mauritian Wildlife Foundation (MWF) that is published on the MWF web-site and in newsletters.
Registration charity number: 2134
THE MAURITIAN WILDLIFE FOUNDATION (MWF ) IS THE ONLY NON-GOVERNMENTAL ORGANISATION IN MAURITIUS TO BE EXCLUSIVELY CONCERNED WITH THE PRESERVATION OF THE MAURITIAN NATION’S ENDANGERED PLANTS AND ANIMALS. THE ORGANISATION WORKS THROUGH HANDS-ON ACTIONS AND IS ALSO ACTIVE ON RODRIGUES AND LOCAL ISLETS.
If you wish to know more about the Mauritian birds and the Mauritian Wildlife Foundation please consult the web-site: www.mauritian-wildlife.org or contact: Lone Raffray: firstname.lastname@example.org
Extra details on www.dodo-trail.com