Yellow Branch Falls

9:14 p.m. on May 28, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

We made a 4.5 mile trip to Yellow Branch Falls today. A very nice walk, not too hard, but through some nice woods. On the way back we came across a young woman who had fallen and sprained her ankle. We gave aid, some ice water and some trail snack. She could barley walk, she was with her mother. We stayed w/them most of the way back. A very slow walk, then her father who had went to get help at the ranger station came back. The station was closed, we walked with them most of the way. It pays to be prepared even if you are only going for what you might think will be a short hike.

2011_05280029.jpg?t=1306631926

12:21 p.m. on May 30, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I guess my wife and I have adopted this trail as our home trainning trail. We hiked it yesteday and again this morning. Today we found very fresh bear scat, and I think we heard the rattle of a snake. We did not see it, it came from a brush pile my wife had just passed. She turned around at the sound just as I passed the brush. I'll call is a very possible close encounter.

4:11 p.m. on May 30, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,495 forum posts

Trips to waterfalls are always fun!

Well....unless you get hurt; I'm glad you guys could offer assistance to the young lady and were prepared to do so.

Very nice photo of those falls, I didn't realize how big they were until I noticed the hiker at the bottom of the photo. Looks like they were about 75' - 100' tall ?

I'll have to look this trail up, I haven't heard of it until now.

Thanks Mike C.

8:56 p.m. on May 30, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Trout, it is a good 100' fall or more, and last evening a teenage boy was crawling all over them. He fell once, only a short distance then he went up almost to the top and was stopped on a ledge. He kicked down some rocks that fell close to Brenda and myself. He didn't say sorry or anything. We had to move out of there, then he started yelling that he broke his leg. I think he just got himself in a spot he could not get out of. I have no use for stupid people and would not put myself in danger to help out, we left. His younger brothers and sisters were trying to get to where he was at. Don't know what happened  to him, he wasn't up there this morning.

10:13 p.m. on May 30, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I checked out the falls, they are only 50', sure did fool me

9:58 a.m. on June 1, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,597 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

What a beautiful place to sprain your ankle. 

Amazing picture! Looks like something from a travel brochure. 

11:43 a.m. on June 1, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Looks like a really nice spot, Mike. Was it 4.5 miles each way, or round trip?

I really like how large your photo is displayed in the post; how did you get it to display that big?

11:53 a.m. on June 2, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

The hike was uneventfull today, that mileage is round trip. A short hike as hikes go, but perfect for getting flat lander legs into shape.  I use PhotoBucket to copy and paste pictures. I enlarge it in photo bucket then copy it. We will do this hike 3 or 4 times a week and it should help us drop some weight and gain some strength.

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply