West Clear Creek near Camp Verde,Az

1:54 a.m. on May 29, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Did a real nice trip up West Clear Creek last week. Just outside of Camp Verde, AZ. Aprx. 2 hours North of Phoenix. Trip was origanally planned to be an overniter, but due to some poor planning on my part it became a day hike with full pack. Got a late start, piddle farted around to much along the way, and was just plane enjoying the day, till it got to late and just busted it back to the truck. Oh well, was good training for future trips and was well worth it!

Got to the TH about 10:30a

WCC-00.jpg

trail runs just above creek thru the canyon

WCC-001.jpg

lots of beautiful views, with several drops down for creek crossings

WCC-06.jpg

WCC-03.jpg

WCC-002.jpg

I took lots of pics along the way, but once again, poor planning on my part. New cheap-o camera, never tried it out before going. After all how hard could it be to figure out a $40 camera? I stand corrected and humbled. There were lots of deep pools with Trout and a few folks fishing along the way. One of the last pics to come out was where I bushwacked down to the creek for lunch

WCC-02.jpg

I continued up the trail a little further, stoped to make some dinner but before I knew it, it was getting late. Started back wanting to get to a camp site I saw along the way only to find some other folks there now. Was getting late, cut my losses and busted it back to the truck. Got back about 9:00p. Drove up the road ontop of the Rim and setup camp, I just couldnt see goin home after such an awesome day.

11:29 a.m. on June 1, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Sounds like a fun hike  Even though you didn't end up spending a night on the acual trail it is nice just sleeping outside.

One of my favorite spots for a quick night outdoors virtually righto f the road.  It is Huckleberry Knob just off the Cherohala Skyway on the highland crest that maked up the border between NC and TN.  It is an easy 1.5 miles to the very top, and you can pitch tent anywere along the way after the first 100 yds.

6:56 p.m. on June 1, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

Looong time ago while living in Prescott I took a couple of memorable weekend trips down into some upper stretch of West Clear Creek. I remember Englemann spruce, horestails, beautiful pools for swimming and fishing. A real oasis. Access via some USFS dirt roads and a short trail. I guess you were on a different section?

12:55 a.m. on June 2, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Sounds like one and them same. I took pics of the pools but Camera proved to smarter then me :( TH starts at Bull Pen at the western edge of the West Clear Creek Wilderness. Which is a few miles off highway 260. Few miles of dirt roads get ya there. I've been trying to figure out how to get the pic from Wilderness.net of the area to post but no luck (guess you could go to site and find it) Heres the area map i do have

chart?chs=80x80&cht=qr&chl=http%3A%2F%2FDirections
to hike:
From Phoenix go North on Highway I-17 to the SR 260 turnoff. Follow
State Route 260 East about 6 to 8 miles to the turnoff for for Bull Pen and West
Clear Creek.(FR618) Follow FR618 North about 2.25 miles to turnoff for FR215.
Follow FR215 East just over 3 miles to the end.

west-clear-creek-trail-17.gif

By Trail Profile (top right) I did hike backwards(starting at mile 8) I turned back before the big climb up the Rim. West side starts in the deserts then goes up the Rim into the Pines

West Clear Creek Wilderness is pretty awesome! Ive gone into from the far East side before from Clover Springs(many moons ago) high elevation with tall Ponderosa Pine forest. I plan on going back there again in the future.

2:05 a.m. on June 2, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

GONZAN - You got that right!

I do lotsa car camping. or I like to refer to it as 4x4 Camping. Due to time restraints from work alot of times I only get 1 day off. So heading out with the truck after work and running down some dirt road somewhere is a great breakaway. Setup camp, turn on some music and sip some fine Spirits. Maybe a short hike in the morning or take someother dirt road home. Sure makes me alot happier for the next week ahead.

3:38 p.m. on June 2, 2011 (EDT)
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

I think we came down from the rim on the other end of the trail and just camped and poked around without hiking through. On the first trip, one of my buddies had a severe asthma attack -- allergic reaction to PB, we were lucky it wasn't worse, but he knew about it so maybe he was ready. Anyway, he couldn't walk at all, so we took turns piggybacking him back up to the rim, only a mile or so and well-graded. That would have been autumn 1973. Back then it seemed pretty undiscovered, but I guess it's more oft-visited now.

We also used to go camping and exploring  in Boynton Canyon near Sedona, a year or two before the entry road was closed off for development. Stopped in there for a brief hike when we were driving xc in January, and I was pretty shocked to see the condos and country club or whatever blocking the whole lower end of the canyon. Some things just aren't right.

2:32 a.m. on June 3, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

First time I went to Sedona was in 1982, things are a whole lot diffrent now for sure. Some people (developers) need to be hung and flogged for whats happened up there. The sad thing about it is all the folks living in those condos and country clubs claim to be "Green Eco Friendly Purists". Most of those giant homes and condos are nothing more then vacation homes. Very few people can afford to live there year round. They fight tooth and nail to stop light pollution and view reduction. They even forced McD's to have their first green arches.  Yes worthy causes but seems a bit late IMO.

Rant done

10:12 p.m. on June 3, 2011 (EDT)
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

What's the difference between a developer and an environmentalist?

A developer wants to build a house in the woods. An environmentalist already has one.

When we passed through Sedona this winter and stopped for coffee, a real friendly local struck up a conversation with us, ended up trying to get us to sign up for a try before you buy on some new timeshare units. We had to explain that we aren't "that kind of people", an skedaddled about as fast as we could.

November 22, 2014
Quick Reply