Smokies: Anthony Creek to Gregory Bald

1:17 a.m. on June 14, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,231 forum posts

Smokies: Anthony Creek to Gregory Bald

The weekend of this excursion included Sunday obligations; I only had from Friday night until Saturday late afternoon to work in as much mountain hiking as was within the limits of fun. My excursions are often a combination of “getting away” from the normal day-to-day environment (aka Mental Health), athletic endeavors, and pure joy at being surrounded by nature.

I’ve never mentioned this on these forums but I was raised by a mother who grew-up near these mountains, moved away for most of her life, and always spoke longingly of retuning to them. Unfortunately she never got to really do that before she passed, but I’ve always thought of the Smoky Mountains in bold mental italics and through the filter of her fondness. OK….enough personal reflection…

I “comped-off” work at 3PM from my job in Knoxville and navigated my Japanese conveyance with all speed to the Cades Cove loop entrance to immobilize said conveyance and depart on a much more natural mode of travel.

My plan was to hike up Anthony Creek to Russell Field trail, then South on the AT to stay at Mollies Ridge Shelter for the night. (This would be about 8 miles and probably a bit of night hiking with such a late start). Day 2 would follow the AT south to Gregory Ridge trail and explore a heretofore unseen connector to the Gregory Bald trail (this was actually the old AT route according to the trail history). I left myself the option of going to see the Bald (although the wife and I are planning to go up there the following weekend so I can’t show her this repot until after that).  The hike would end by backtracking down Gregory Bald trail to Gregory Ridge trail and hiking out Forge Creek road to the cades cove loop. I then planned on thumbing a ride around the loop (if possible) back to the car. Day 2 would be about 14 miles if got a ride, 20 if not.

Summer-Trip-2-001.jpg

Obligatory self-pic with awkward facial expression. Despite my best efforts, I still didn’t get started until 4:57PM.

Summer-Trip-2-002.jpg

Passed a horse camp on the way up Anthony Creek. Pretty but smelly beasts.

Summer-Trip-2-003.jpg

Another awkward self-pic near Anthony Creek.

Summer-Trip-2-004.jpg

Summer-Trip-2-008.jpg

The trail is quite fine through here…..

Summer-Trip-2-011.jpg

Peeked in at campsite 10 on Russell Field trail…hmm, nobody was there on prime weekend evening.

Summer-Trip-2-013.jpg

These little hoppers were pretty active that evening.

Summer-Trip-2-015.jpg

I think this is a corn-snake….can any of you fellow southern folks back me up on that?

Summer-Trip-2-019.jpg

Summer-Trip-2-021.jpg

Stopped to take a quick gander at Russell Field and was distracted by this Mountain Laurel blooming so nicely.

Summer-Trip-2-022.jpg

This is a poor pic of Russell Field shelter. I was trying to beat the sunset and so wasn’t as friendly with these folks as I would normally have been. They were so tired I don’t think they cared….lol, I see that a lot around here.

Summer-Trip-2-023.jpg

Summer-Trip-2-025.jpg

“Things I liked” while moving South on the AT past Russell Field.

Summer-Trip-2-026.jpg

Summer-Trip-2-027.jpg

So this is interesting: I was getting tired myself and was exploring potential new places to camp for the night (although I had a reservation for Mollies, I assumed it would be crowded). I took an unmarked spur trail about a half mile off the AT. It looked promising until I saw these large piles of bear-scat. I then heard something large tromping around the hilltop. I got the hint and retreated back to the AT. Well, the tromping followed me and about the time I started to turn to my right to look and see just how inquisitive that bear was, something started hissing at me from the left side. I turned and there was some kind of chicken sized bird (a grouse maybe?) getting all puffed up and hissing loudly at me. I then turned back to the right as a large black bear popped up about fifty feet away in the bush to get a look at me. I tried to get a picture of both things but was too “distressed” to get either one (the efforts don’t show anything). I probably shouldn’t even mention it without having the pictures but it was pretty funny in retrospect. I’ve had dozens and dozens of bear encounters before but never one with a “grouse-alarm” sounding simultaneously.

I hiked another while (wanted to get some distance between me and that strange scene), and finally found a previously used camp site by continuous off-trail exploring. When camping in an undesignated spot in the park it’s very important to me to truly “leave no trace” but I wanted a fire for comfort tonight so I kept searching for a premade ring.

Summer-Trip-2-030.jpg

Sunset from the off-trail campsite.

Summer-Trip-2-033.jpg

Not a great campsite as such things go (and dry), but I had plenty of water and met my criteria for the night. Notice the Big-Agnes-Super-Duper-light-weight but very delicate tent.

Summer-Trip-2-035.jpg

Yeah, a little fire is good for the head when camping alone way off-trail where no one can hear the grouse scream (or was it me?).

That night was also interesting in that I had apparently pitched my tent over a nest of beetles (geez do beetles nest?). It took forever to figure out where that strange scratching noise was coming from until I realized it was underneath me. They eventually worked themselves out from under me. Oh well, so much for “leave no trace”. I guess I wrecked a beetle habitat.

Summer-Trip-2-038.jpg

Morning of day two and I tried a new piece of camp gear: a pour-over coffee maker. It was only 2.99 in the coffee aisle at the grocery store and I think it works better than anything else I’ve tried at any price. I really like the easy clean-up; just toss the grounds and filter into your trash bag, quick rinse and that’s it.

Summer-Trip-2-039.jpg

Hey, the sun had finally bested the tree-line for me that morning.

Summer-Trip-2-042.jpg

Approach view to Mollies Ridge. Well, wouldn’t you know it? I don’t think anyone stayed here last night at all unless they were early rising Southbounders and didn’t make a fire.

Summer-Trip-2-056.jpg

Summer-Trip-2-057.jpg

These were taken on the way across Gregory Ridge Trail. I had actually been seeing these flame azaleas for quite a while but they were indeed increasing in frequency as I neared the bald.

Summer-Trip-2-060.jpg

The eastern approach to Gregory Bald.

Summer-Trip-2-067.jpg

Summer-Trip-2-068.jpg

Summer-Trip-2-069.jpg

This place is truly beautiful. It was too hazy to see very far that day and I was a little early for full bloom but it’s still something to see. Even with nothing in bloom at all, this place has always had a special energy about it (at the risk of sounding mystical-hokey).

Summer-Trip-2-070.jpg

Summer-Trip-2-071.jpg

I rested for a while under one my favorite shady spots.

Summer-Trip-2-075.jpg

Summer-Trip-2-076.jpg

Summer-Trip-2-077.jpg

Summer-Trip-2-081.jpg

Summer-Trip-2-084.jpg

Summer-Trip-2-087.jpg

Pinks and oranges and reds ..these flame azaleas are just awesome.

Summer-Trip-2-097.jpg

Summer-Trip-2-099.jpg

I couldn’t believe that I had that place all to myself. But then I had thought I heard someone walking towards me and was about to say hello….

Summer-Trip-2-107.jpg

As much as I hated to leave, I had a potentially long hike ahead of me to get back to the car and had to start moving.

Summer-Trip-2-108.jpg

Summer-Trip-2-110.jpg

Summer-Trip-2-113.jpg

The Gregory Ridge trail going down to Forge Creek Road is worthy of a visit by itself IMO.

Summer-Trip-2-115.jpg

Summer-Trip-2-117.jpg

Descending….

I reached the gravelForge Creek Roadand began the trudge out to the Cades Cove loop paved road. I was not looking forward to hiking the paved road six miles back to my car. (The distance wasn’t daunting but the heavy car traffic was.) Luckily I was picked up right away by some kind souls visiting the park fromGeorgiaand they let me hop in the back of their truck.

Summer-Trip-2-120.jpg

Summer-Trip-2-122.jpg

“Back of the truck” photos on the way out.

This hike was just good all over. I’m looking forward to returning to the bald with my wife next weekend!

9:19 a.m. on June 14, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Another great trip report, Patman. The flaming azaleas were stunning!

The snake appears to be a common Eastern Garter Snake. Corn snakes are a stronger orange and gold complexion, have larger paterning that is less regular, get much larger, and are much smoother and
"shiny" in appearance. The Corn snake also lacks the distinct dorsal stripe of the Garter, while typically having a distinct light-colored "brow band" that runs around the top edge of their head.  Corn snakes are probably the most docile of the larger North American snakes.

Full Grown Corn Snake with classic eastern coloration:
medium.jpg

Closeup of the head and distinct "brow band" on a younger snake

Alfred%203.JPG

10:27 a.m. on June 14, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,231 forum posts

Cool...thanks Gonzan!

Those are great pics of the corn snake.....which could be confused for a cooperhead at a glance huh?

11:51 a.m. on June 14, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

You're welcome, I can't claim credit for the photos though, as I just pulled them from the interwebs :)

And yes, the corn snake is frequently mistaken for a copperhead, which often results in the unfortunate death of the harmelss look-a-like. Sad, since it is one of the most beneficial and docile snakes. If you come across one and are not sure whether it is a copprehead or corn snake, flip it over with your trekking pole and look at its bell.  The Corn snake has a beautiful and striking black and white checkerboard pattern on its stomach.

p1010668a.jpg

7:05 p.m. on June 14, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

Great trip report patmen, I enjoyed it.

1:34 p.m. on June 15, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,231 forum posts

Hey thanks Jake....

Editorial note: I've since confirmed that the bird that "hissed" at me was indeed a grouse. Freaky little thing.

August 1, 2014
Quick Reply