80 miles and 7 days solo on the LHHT...6/11/2011-6/17/2011

4:06 p.m. on June 22, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

So I recently hiked the LHHT. It was originally a tick over 70 miles but being the Pa. Turnpike bridge was down it added 8+ miles to the trip. The first 2 days were the hardest(longest elevation gains and humidity was bonkers)plus I got caught in a few storms but over-all it was a good time. I plan on doing it again in fall and again in winter.

Prior to hitting the trailhead.

002.jpg

First thing ya get to do is climb alot of steps. It just keeps going and going and going... Definitely will let ya know if ya packed too heavy.

005.jpg

For some odd reason I wanted to play hopscotch. Then again maybe I just wanted some scotch.

009.jpg

I found a friend with alot of legs.

013.jpg

First view of the Yough river from above.

016.jpg

018.jpg

I wonder if there is a troll under here....

026.jpg

Time for some dinner.

033.jpg

I have had enough excitement for one day.

035.jpg

Breakfast.

050.jpg

I was pretty tired, the shelter was tempting.

056.jpg

Don't I look enthusiastic...

058.jpg

I found me a pond.

084.jpg

...and dragonfly central...

086.jpg

Hiked with Mr. Snail for a few, funny he was making better time than me.

089.jpg

This was an awesome place to stop to "veg out" and grab a bite to eat.

095.jpg

My travels took me through Seven Springs ski resort. Kinda dead this time of year.

100.jpg

Another long day, I am tuckered out.

104.jpg

I did this more for the raccoons than bears.

106.jpg

Well here comes the extended mileage. :)

108.jpg

The view from Beam Rock is awesome.

110.jpg

Hooty Hoo. Look close.

113.jpg

Bad moon risin.

116.jpg

I kinda felt as though the walls were closing in on me.

123.jpg

Looks like the Garter Snakes are eating well...

126.jpg

...and the rest of the clan...

128.jpg

129.jpg

Found a room with a view.

131.jpg

Good advice.

136.jpg

10 more to go...

138.jpg

Decided to go off trail for this one.

139.jpg

Chippies chattering everywhere(ridge rats.)

142.jpg

I made another new friend. Good conversations.

149.jpg

From one ridge to another.

153.jpg

Ran into a road block, good test for my knife right?

160.jpg

The powerline, sounded like bacon frying. Made me hungry.

164.jpg

165.jpg

Mile marker 70, thats a rap folks.

178.jpg

Over-all it was a great trip. Can't wait for fall/winter. Sorry about the date and time stamp, I didn't realize it til after I got back.

4:33 p.m. on June 22, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Good stuff, Rick. I haven't been able to get out nearly enough lately. I look forward to when I am fully self employed, as I don't see being able to take a whole week on the trail until then.

What is your pack? It reminds me a little of the new Sierra Designs pack that I just reviewed.

4:51 p.m. on June 22, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts
Re: 80 miles and 7 days solo on the LHHT...6/11/2011 thru 6/17/2011

Hey gonzan, the pack is a MHM Divide 55 that I was testing for the Review Corps. Working on the review now. :)

I hear ya on the whole getting out thing. I am not a city boy by any means. If I did'nt get out I would lose my mind. My wife is really good about it. She likes car camping. Never the less she enjoys it and that is what matters most.

7:52 p.m. on June 22, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Very nice!

Thanks for letting us see where you went and what it looked like.

Your tent is a Big Agnes? I couldn't tell for sure.

It's funny how so many river gorge photos look oddly familiar to me.

I liked the trail sign that said "Hiking Trail" and pointed at the trail, I know why they do it but sometimes I think to myself- if you need navigational help that soon maybe you shouldn't go,- haha.

Even in areas with no bears I hang my food just like you did.

I don't know how many photos I have with an incorrect date / time stamp, it's quite a few, but I wouldn't trade them for anything.

I'm glad you got to do this week long hike, I'm glad somebody can do it, I'm tied up with a demanding job right now and disliking it but glad I'm eating and paying bills.

Up until nine months ago I was self employed and could get out more often and stay longer, maybe again soon.

Thanks for posting, great looking trip!

8:05 p.m. on June 22, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
71 forum posts

Good photos!!

Thanks for sharing

8:53 p.m. on June 22, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Trout, yeah its a BA(Copper Spur 1.) I am quite busy with my jobs but anytime I get a chance to get out(even an over-nighter) I am gone. I actually live in Pittsburgh. The city drives me nuts. Bus fumes, people, noise... I am sure ya know where I am going with this.

Funny you should mention the navigation troubles people have. The shelters are on their own path on the trail and I actually had someone ask me how to get back to the main from the shelter. I was scratching my head because the shelter area trails are marked very well(blue blaze every 100 yards.) There is pretty much no use for a compass but never the less.

The main is marked in the same manner with yellow every 100. I dunno. Nothing ever really ceases to amaze me anymore.

When I was up there there were a few kids that were packing nothing more than a sandwich each. They were in a group I ran into mid trail. Their plans were to get dropped off at the trail head in Ohiopyle and hike around 40 miles to where we met to pick up their car in 8 hrs. No back-up plan, no reservations... nothing.

I politely questioned their logic but they would have none of it. I did give them some of my 1st aid supplies, some aquamira, and a Nalgene bottle.

I knew what they were gonna run into and from what I saw of their attire and lack of provisions I thought they were more likely to run into trouble than not. I kinda forced the first aid supplies on them. They were just kids(17 at the oldest.)

9:21 p.m. on June 22, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

Great report Rick. Its always fun to "get out" at least if just through someone elses photos! I am a teacher so as of Friday at 4:00 I will be rockin a little Alice Cooper on my way home. I've got 2 trips planned already for the summer, hopefully more. I hear you on the work thing, September to June its pretty tough to find the time for me.

10:27 p.m. on June 22, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,991 forum posts

trouthunter said:

I liked the trail sign that said "Hiking Trail" and pointed at the trail, I know why they do it but sometimes I think to myself- if you need navigational help that soon maybe you shouldn't go,- haha.

I thought that was funny too.

Rick, thanks for sharing your trip report. It's fun to see where others are off to. Nice hat too!

10:33 p.m. on June 22, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Thanks Alicia, I wore it quite a bit. Awesome in humid weather. I switched out depending on weather and what was drier. :)

11:55 p.m. on June 22, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Thanks for the report Rick, looks like a nice one. I really enjoy seeing the areas you all get to hike back east. Its so lush and green, beautiful! Im gonna have to take a trip back that way again someday. I love my AZ Mtns. but it sure is dry out this way, and real brown this time of year.

The orange lizard or salamander was cool looking, how big was he/she? I too converse with lizards all the time, I think we're sane or atleast the lizard gods told me so.

12:02 a.m. on June 23, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Lol, sometimes I think the lil leezards have better thought processing than I do. The pic is kinda fuzzy but they have red spots with the orange. They were all over the place. Size wise I think the biggest from head to tail may have been 3" give or take. They were pretty cool lil guys. Didn't move very fast. I thought with the bright colors there was probably a good reason why they didn't need too(toxins, etc.)

4:57 a.m. on July 1, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

How was cell-phone service in those areas, along the trail ( assuming you stayed in-touch with wife ) ?

~r2~

10:11 a.m. on July 1, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

It was sketchy at times Robert. I was actually jumping on Trailspace from time to time. Kinda missed ya guys lol. I would fire up a pic every now and then or chime in to varying topics.

Uh-oh, I think I may be addicted to Trailspace.... Uggggghhhhhh...

But seriously the wife worries about everything. I pretty much called her daily just to let her know I didn't lose it and think I was a bird while looking off a vista or what not. I think I owed her at least that being she let me get out there for a week. Not to mention she was picking me up at the end of the trail. :)

Over-all I had minimal coverage issues with Verizon.

11:21 a.m. on July 1, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Yeah, I think am, too :)

Maybe we should Start a support group: TSUA (TrailSpace Users Annonymous)

I understand about keeping in touch with the wife, Haha! Though I've leaned that in a hiking group you don't want to be "the guy who is on the phone with his wife the whole time" ;)

1:14 p.m. on July 1, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

gonzan said:

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Yeah, I think am, too :)

Maybe we should Start a support group: TSUA (TrailSpace Users Annonymous)

I understand about keeping in touch with the wife, Haha! Though I've leaned that in a hiking group you don't want to be "the guy who is on the phone with his wife the whole time" ;)

I don't think a "help group" will be necessary. The only time I have a problem is when I am out of.... TRAILSPACE.

Maybe its the whole denial thing, I dunno. :)

1:16 p.m. on July 1, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Hello, my name is Robert and I am a TS aholic

TSUA group might be a good idea, but then again picture the group meeting.....

A room full of folks that have'nt bathed in days, smelling of Deet and scratching bites all over. Comparing boots, poles and bragging of tents. Of course there would be plenty of poltical discussions so for saftey reasons please check your poles at the door!

I dont know, might be counter productive :)

1:32 p.m. on July 1, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

azrhino said:

Hello, my name is Robert and I am a TS aholic

TSUA group might be a good idea, but then again picture the group meeting.....

A room full of folks that have'nt bathed in days, smelling of Deet and scratching bites all over. Comparing boots, poles and bragging of tents. Of course there would be plenty of poltical discussions so for saftey reasons please check your poles at the door!

I dont know, might be counter productive :)

Thats classic.

2:50 p.m. on July 1, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Sorry if Im getting carried away here, but I cant help but think of the meeeting

"Ladies and Gentlemen please refrain from Pick'n & Flick'n chiggers at those members that do not share the same views and opions as yourself"

5:06 p.m. on July 1, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Eh, nothing wrong with having fun. Pretty much why we are all on here in the first place. Discussing the various things that make us happy(being out there,) as well as the gear and advice that can make our journeys even happier and more memorable. :)

12:54 a.m. on July 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Nice report Rick,   Thanks for the picts.

Funny this would come up.  My ex-girl friend and I were disscussing something last night when I told her that I just bought another tent (It's my first Warlus WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!)  It's a Terramoto 2.0 that is almost new except that it's got a broken pole section and a couple of flea bite holes in the screen.  It was a good deal though for $10.  It appears to be a nice little tent, but i digress......I had just told her about my purchase and  and she suggested that maybe I needed to attend a TA meeting, I guess she was thinking Tent Annonymous(not what I was thinking).  I thought for a few seconds and said "everytime I go to a TA  meeting I get in trouble."  I then told here I would go to the very next one I could find.  After a min. she figured out  that we might need to change the name from TA to something else.  I know that I don't have tent problem cause as they say "It's only a problem if you need another tent", I just want another tent (Really, really bad)..........................

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply