Backpacking Vista Ridge - NNW corner of Mt. Hood

11:29 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
263 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

Vista-100-LilliesVISTA-100-LILLIES.jpg
Thousands of avlanche lillies from about 4800' to 5300'

Vista-102-Route-upVISTA-102-ROUTE-UP.jpg
Hit continuous snow at about 5500'.  Followed the high snowline.

Vista-103-Snow-trailVISTA-103-SNOW-TRAIL
Looking back from partway up.

Vista-106-360-2VISTA-106-360-2.jpg
St. Helens, Rainier and Adams in Washington from campsite at 6500'

Vista-113-CampVISTA-113-CAMP.jpg
Campsite

Vista-114-Hood-Ladd-GlacierVISTA-114-HOO
Ladd Glacier

Vista-115-McNeil-from-VistaVISTA-115-MCN
McNeil Point, where I day hiked a couple of weeks ago.  The square stone shelter can be seen.

Vista-117-Bull-RunVISTA-117-BULL-RUN.jpg
Bull Run lake - Portland's water supply

Vista-117-Mike-CampVISTA-117-MIKE-CAMP.j
Me in campsite

Vista-117-Tree-ViewVISTA-117-TREE-VIEW.j
Old whitebark pine

Vista-120-I-205-bridgeVISTA-120-I-205-BR
I-205 bridge over Columbia

Vista-122-ShortcutVISTA-122-SHORTCUT.jpg
Headed back down at 7am

11:51 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Great trip and photos, Mentalfloss. Those avalanch lillies look very similar to trout lilies we have here in the east, I will have to look them up.

12:23 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,243 forum posts

That electric blue sky is mesmerizing!

Thanks for sharing…

Is that a BA FlyCreek UL tent?

12:12 p.m. on August 5, 2011 (EDT)
263 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

Yes, that's a Fly Creek UL 2 that I got at an REI used gear sale for $80.  It had a tiny tear in the tent body that I repaired on both sides with repair tape.  I like it so far.

12:22 p.m. on August 5, 2011 (EDT)
263 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

I had a late night visitor on this trip.  Here's what I posted on Facebook:

I did an overnight backpack on Vista Ridge yesterday.  I'd seen two people, day hikers coming out, all day.  I was asleep last night when I hear something outside my tent.  I looked up and saw something big by the door and I yelled.  Scared the heck out of some guy named Eddie.

You won't believe this.  This guy is from Mississippi.  He left the trailhead at 8pm.  It was 11pm when he woke me up.  He had no flashlight and had found his way up by his cell phone screen light.  There's about 1 1/2 miles of snow to walk on to get up there (6500')   He'd never done anything like this before.  He was carrying a rectangular car camping bag in his hand and had a smallish day pack.  He had brought no water and one can of Chef Boy-ar-Dee spaghetti, which he'd eaten cold on the way up.   Instead of water he brought beer.  Longnecks.  He offered me one.

He was looking for someplace to camp so I told him that I'd seen some decent spots off to the north and east of where I was.  I gave him my little keychain light so he'd not break his ankle, maybe.  He shook my hand and took off.  I didn't see him anywhere this morning but his car was at the trailhead.  I hope he finds his way down over all that snow."

Followup:  I contacted the Hood River ranger to let them know that this guy could be in trouble.  No word from them.

2:14 p.m. on August 5, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Please, please don't think this guy is indicative of people from the south! There are folks like him from everywhere :(

10:35 a.m. on August 6, 2011 (EDT)
263 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

Oh, sorry.  I agree!  I didn't lump Southerners together with this.  My dad is from Georgia and I know for sure that there are people who make bad judgements everywhere.  I felt bad for the guy and hope that he got out ok and that he enjoyed himself.  (I've been lost twice and although I got myself out of it there was a chance that I wouldn't have.)

7:59 p.m. on August 6, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Beautiful views and pics. Thanx for sharing.

What were temps like? Looks like it would be a nice cool if not cold change from summer heat.

Cold Chef Boy-ar-Dee...... think I would rather eat rocks and bark! Did you atleast try and help lite'n his load and take one of the Longnecks off his hands?

10:46 a.m. on August 7, 2011 (EDT)
263 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

There was a stiff south wind all night so the temp didn't drop below the high 40's I don't believe.  On a calm night it might have hit freezing.  He offered me a beer but I didn't want one since I was half asleep and I didn't want one for breakfast.  Nice offer though.

9:41 a.m. on August 8, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,329 reviewer rep
1,226 forum posts

Nice!  Did you glissade?

10:38 a.m. on August 9, 2011 (EDT)
263 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

I glissaded only a short way.  I wasn't up that high.   One of the best and longest I know of is off the high part of McNeil Ridge just to the south of where I was.  It's a blast!

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply