Pete Lake Alpine Lakes WA

11:02 a.m. on August 30, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

Took my wife and nine year old daughter on our first family overnight back packing trip.  I have not backpacked since college and this was both their first times.  We hiked in about 5 miles to a small sub alpine lake just inside the Alpine Lakes Wilderness Area.  The hike was mostly in the shade with approx. 500 feet elevation gain so it was a relatively easy introduction to carrying our packs.  My daughter did well handling her own pack and enjoyed acting as our "guide" down the trial.  Given the forecast was for 85 degrees (thats without any humidity for those back east reading this) and only two hours from Seattle we were not the only ones with this idea.  After some searching once we reached the lake  we were able to find a secluded area to pitch our tent.  That went pretty well considering it was the first time we had used the tent.  We spent some time cooling off in the cold but refreshing lake.  Later my daughter cooked dinner using a freezer bag recipe she got off the internet.   She was happy how good it came out and so was I.  It was a lot better then the old MREs I used to eat as a kid.  We were all tired from the hike so we crashed out early.  Broke camp early and got back home in time to go to a late afternoon bbq.  Overall a great first trip for the family.  Most importantly my wife and kid were scouring guidebooks on the way home to plan another trip for next weekend. 

2:04 p.m. on August 30, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Sounds like a great little hike.  It's always good when you're introducing young ones to hiking to have an uneventful trip. Glad it went well and good luck on the next.

10:09 a.m. on August 31, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,344 reviewer rep
1,232 forum posts

Excellent choice for a trip; short, flat trail to a beautiful lake, a great intro hike!

Pete Lake was my first backpacking trip ever. 

The Cooper river on the way up is pristine and the lake, after mosquito season ends in July, can be crowded but beautiful.

My wife made the trip there with me once to.

That lake also has some nice brook trout if you are inclined as well.

August 31, 2014
Quick Reply