180 Tack

Ever wish stove fuel grew on trees? With the 180 Tack wood-burning stove, your wish may come true. This squat, light stove has a small firebox, topped with a simple grill. Underneath, an optional ash pan rests to catch any embers and ashes.

This stove is available in two versions: the larger 180 Stove, and the smaller 180 VL Stove. The VL has a smaller cooking surface and fuel capacity, and is better suited to solo expeditions. The larger cooking surface and firebox of the regular 180 Stove makes it more suitable for cooking for multiple adventurers or using larger pots.

regular VL
Weight 10.4 oz 5.9 oz
Dimensions 7 x 6 x 3.25 in 7 x 5.75 x 3.25

The 6"x 7" cook surface, built in wind screening and…

Summary

The 6"x 7" cook surface, built in wind screening and compact form factor when folded down are this stove's best attributes.

Pros

• Large cook surface
  • Folds very compact
  • Strong — it holds my heavy dutch oven
  • Light since I don't carry my fuel with me

Cons

• Gets sooty
  • More work than turning a gas valve

I bought the 180 STOVE stove last fall and am quite pleased with it. I opted for the ash pan accessory to go along with it as I plan on doing some winter camping this season and will need the support it provides in the snow. I have owned a few stick burning stoves over the years and they all have their pluses and minuses.

This stove has a very large cook surface and generous firebox that can handle all sorts of combustibles. I can get my water boiling in a few minutes if I am in a hurry or because of the large fire box, I can create a slow burn and develop a decent bed of coals if I want. I truly enjoy using fuels that I can find around my camp site, but the drawback is that it can be a bit messy. I've found that if I just carry a cloth and wipe the parts down before I put it away, I can control the mess easily enough.

This stove is not as light as my gas burning stove by itself, but since I am not taking one or two canisters with me, I make out better.

I would definitely recommend the stove. In fact, I'm even thinking of picking up the smaller 180-VL to give it a go. If I do, I'll post a review on that one as well.

180 Stove is a natural fuels stove that eliminates the need to carry heavy, bulky fuel canisters. While providing a generous 6" x 7" cooking surface, it still folds away into a clean, compact, self-forming case that will even fit in your pocket! At just 10.4 oz, the additional weight and space savings allows for other important items in your pack.

180 Stove quickly cooks food and boils water using only small amounts of natural fuels at hand. Twigs, grass, sticks, or leaves; if it burns, it cooks. No more leaky fuel. Why pay for wasteful canisters? Lighten your load next time and take a 180 Stove!

Visit 180 Tack's 180 Tack page.

180 Tack

The 180 Tack is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new solid fuel stove, check out the best reviewed current models.