2Toms SportShield

Blister and chafe protection in a roll-on dispenser—it…

Price Paid: $14 CDN

Summary

Blister and chafe protection in a roll-on dispenser—it worked for me!

Pros

• It works!
  • Convenient dispenser

Cons

• A bit expensive, but worth it for me if it prevents one blister

A couple of months ago I was looking into tapes for blister prevention (Leukoplast P was the highly-recommended one, BTW) and asked at my local hard-core runner store.

The recommendation there was:

"No tape; it just causes blisters at the tape margins eventually....
Instead, use Sport Shield - a roll-on silicone lubricant which dries on your skin."

It seems to work to keep chafing from 'getting a grip' and starting problems.

I bought a roll-on container (weighs a few ounces) and started using it every time I was going to wear my hiking boots. A few weeks later, I bought a new pair of Scarpa SL Active boots and started 'breaking them in'. Usually this process has involved some 'breaking in' of my feet as well. Not this time- with Sport Shield, my usual socks, and an admittedly good-fitting pair of boots my feet showed no damage.

Note: I haven't been hiking in boots on a regular basis for years, until I 'took up' hiking again recently.

Last week I hiked the Juan de Fuca trail on the southwest coast of Vancouver Island: 3 days of rugged up-and-downs. I used the Sport Shield on my feet and any other areas I thought chafing might be a problem.

Result: 100% success, with absolutely no blister or even 'hot spots' on my feet.

I'd recommend giving Sport Shield (there are other similar products, I think) a try if you have blister or chafing problems.