2Toms SportShield

Blister and chafe protection in a roll-on dispenser—it…

Price Paid: $14 CDN

Summary

Blister and chafe protection in a roll-on dispenser—it worked for me!

Pros

• It works!
  • Convenient dispenser

Cons

• A bit expensive, but worth it for me if it prevents one blister

A couple of months ago I was looking into tapes for blister prevention (Leukoplast P was the highly-recommended one, BTW) and asked at my local hard-core runner store.

The recommendation there was:

"No tape; it just causes blisters at the tape margins eventually....
Instead, use Sport Shield - a roll-on silicone lubricant which dries on your skin."

It seems to work to keep chafing from 'getting a grip' and starting problems.

I bought a roll-on container (weighs a few ounces) and started using it every time I was going to wear my hiking boots. A few weeks later, I bought a new pair of Scarpa SL Active boots and started 'breaking them in'. Usually this process has involved some 'breaking in' of my feet as well. Not this time- with Sport Shield, my usual socks, and an admittedly good-fitting pair of boots my feet showed no damage.

Note: I haven't been hiking in boots on a regular basis for years, until I 'took up' hiking again recently.

Last week I hiked the Juan de Fuca trail on the southwest coast of Vancouver Island: 3 days of rugged up-and-downs. I used the Sport Shield on my feet and any other areas I thought chafing might be a problem.

Result: 100% success, with absolutely no blister or even 'hot spots' on my feet.

I'd recommend giving Sport Shield (there are other similar products, I think) a try if you have blister or chafing problems.

2Toms SportShield

The 2Toms SportShield is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 27, 2015 at EMS.

If you're looking for a new hygiene supply/device, check out the best reviewed current models.

Congratulations, Top Gear Reviewers of 2016