Adidas Terrex Fast X GTX

This is a solid under-ankle trail shoe (less weight…

Summary

This is a solid under-ankle trail shoe (less weight that a traditional hiking boot). The rubber outsole is made by a tire company LOL! Don't be fooled this is no sneaker.

Edit 3/17/14: Dropped ½ star due to long break-in period and failure of the lace tab. However this is otherwise a rock-solid, under-ankle hiking shoe and I'm very pleased with them.

Pros

• Awesome under-ankle trail shoe protects feet from rocks, etc., while being lightweight.
  • Waterproof yet breathable Gore-Tex
  • Stylish

Cons

• *Very* long break-in period (but worth it once broken in)
  • Sizes run small and perhaps narrow

WHY THESE:

Due to a broken leg I ended up with some screws in me that were supposed to stay put. However one screw has worked its way lose and protrudes just above my left ankle inner side. While out on an 11-mile hike this became a real issue for me as the back and forth rubbing from my hiking boots were killing me those last two miles.

HOW I FOUND THEM:

Not willing to give up hiking I went to REI and asked for something under-ankle but still great on the trails here in central Texas. Without hesitation the guy recommended these to me. Frankly I never would have picked these out for myself.  I prefer earth tones and most likely wouldn't have considered Adidas. However based on his recommendation I decided to give these a try. I'm very glad I did.

SIZE:

I've never considered my feet to be narrow, but I also know depending on shoe style and brand I float between a 12 and 13, typically getting 13 although some I have are just a bit too big. These shoes I got in a 14 (!!) and it's the perfect size for me. Be aware of this because you really should try these on in a store and be willing to go a size or even two up before deciding what to get IMHO.

BREAK-IN PERIOD:

Please be aware it takes a long while to break these shoes in. I wore them non-stop even in my house in an effort to break them in ASAP. Even still it took a solid two months to get these where they are totally comfortable.

LACES:

These shoes have the built-in lace with a finger tab to pull on in the center. One lace came out. I wasn't thrilled but I want to keep these too much to return them. Instead I just cut off the tabs, melted the laces to prevent fraying, and tied them together. Works fine and a gram or two lighter. These laces lock and hold better than what you get on a Keen and I'm happy with how that has held up.

Adidas-TERREX-Fast-X-GORE-TEX-GTX-Hiking
Adidas-TERREX-Fast-X-GORE-TEX-GTX-Hiking

CONCLUSION:

Great shoes. Lots of features, Google these for all the official details. I like the tread is made by a tire company and the Gore-Tex upper is waterproof. The laces hold and I'm not too worried about the part that came apart — the fix was simple and the shoes still work the same. Yes, the break-in period is very long and not always fun, but stick with them and when you come out on the other side these will be very comfortable. They are terrific trail shoes, really protect your feet.

I'm not happy the screw came loose, but I am happy to have found these shoes. I am getting that screw out of my leg but I expect to continue wearing these for pretty much all my outdoor hiking. I'm sure my boots will see some action but perhaps only in the most extreme backpacking situations.

G00SE

Thanks for sharing the review. Two month break-in is too long for my taste. I'm currently using a pair of Patagonias that were ready to hike in right out of the box!

1 month ago

Great shoe for all around needs, trails, running and…

Price Paid: About retail

Summary

Great shoe for all around needs, trails, running and street. Support, waterproof and comfort. Looks cool also.

Pros

• Waterproof outdoor needs

Cons

• Pricey

Had first pair, now getting second. It meets just about all my needs.

If you've owned or used an Adidas Men's Terrex Fast X GTX, please share your experience.