Aerobie AeroPress

If you like coffee, get an Aeropress! If you like…

Summary

If you like coffee, get an Aeropress! If you like coffee and like camping, you have no choice but to get an Aeropress!

Pros

• Simple to use
  • Brews extremely smooth coffee
  • Impresses your friends
  • Compact
  • Great for traveling
  • Great for camping
  • Easy cleaning

Cons

• None

OK, this is one of my favorite coffee brewing methods! It's so simple to use and great to take anywhere with you! My last camping trip was the first time I got to take it camping and it was amazing having it.

I've used percolators and coffee presses at the campsite and the Aeropress just blows them out of the water. As you plunge the water through the coffee and filter on the Aeropress, it practically cleans itself. I know every time I use a perc. and a press, it normally ends up getting pretty messy.

You will be amazed at the smoothness of the brew so happy about how little space it takes up in your pack!

I'm not joking, if you like to have coffee while camping, you need to get one of these.

David Drake

There's a local coffee bar in Tucson that uses these if your request. I like them, and would own one, if they were made of glass. I'm hoping a glass rendition is in the pipeline, they're pretty neat!

1 month ago
Joseph Renow

Ben...do you have the weight?...how about the smallest packable size? I am assuming it is made of plastic? Thanks!

Ben Rivers

Joseph, in its smallest packable size it is 5.5" tall and weighs 8.1oz. and yes it is made of hard plastic. If I'm trying to save room, I will also go ahead and grind my beans before I leave my house, put them in a ziploc bag and stuff them inside the Aeropress to go in my backpack. If you look at my picture directly above you'll see the Aeropress fully extended. You would pack it with that bottom part pushed up into the top part.

Ben Rivers

David, just curious.. why would you want it to be made of glass?

Joseph Renow

Thanks Ben...nice use of space using the beans in the void between the two pieces!

David Drake

Hi Ben, Only because glass is rather inert. For use in backpacking I would prefer a titanium version. Glass would be sufficient if I was car camping. I sometimes bring my french press along with me, car camping, without any problems. If the wind blows I'll protect it the best I can. Ti, however, would be the better of substances and would enjoy the product in my pack, if it were ti.

Aeropress makes the best coffe on the planet. I take…

Summary

Aeropress makes the best coffe on the planet. I take mine everywhere with me.

Pros

• Very easy and fast to use

Cons

• None

It takes just a minute to make an amazing cup of coffee. I bought this for camping, but now I use it every morning. Once you try the AeroPress you will never go back to coffe any other way.

Check out the video review:

The best cup of espresso you'll ever make on the trail,…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

The best cup of espresso you'll ever make on the trail, but there's a trick to using it.

Pros

• Inexpensive
  • Simple to use
  • Easy to clean up
  • Makes REALLY good espresso

Cons

• On the bulky side for camping use
  • Filters require replacement

There's a trick to making the best use of this. Don't follow their instructions. At least, don't follow one step.

Their instructions say to position the chamber (with filter) over your cup, then add coffee grounds and hot water.  If you do this, the water runs through too quickly and your coffee won't steep properly.

Instead, put the plunger in the chamber, withdraw the plunger to allow for the amount of coffee you intend making, then stand it upside-down, with the plunger on the bottom.  Add your coffee and hot water (175-180 degrees), stir and steep.  Then screw the filter holder and filter onto the chamber, flip over and press into your cup.

I guarantee it will be be best cup of espresso you've ever had in the middle of nowhere.

Ben Rivers

Yanu, I saw in your "cons" about the replacement of filters. I bought this reusable one by Able brewing and it has been great! http://www.amazon.com/Able-Brewing-DISK-AeroPress-Espresso/dp/B00E58P7ME

1 month ago

Expensive (UK) and possibly too heavy. Made in the…

Price Paid: GBP 20.00

Expensive (UK) and possibly too heavy. Made in the USA.

This coffee press gives you a pseudo-espresso in a couple of minutes, to which you can then add hot water, in order to get a drink similar to an Americano or Long Black.

The device can be stripped down to the essential chamber and plunger for backpacking but even then it weighs just under 250g, which is similar to the Bodin double wall press with the drinking top. However, the Bodin can only be used for one person if you make it normally, whereas the Aeropress can make a lot (4+) of 'shots' at once.

The company would do well to manufacture a lighter weight version and utilise the inside of the plunger airspace for storage, especially of the filters which could easily get wet or dirty. You could zip-lock some coffee and put it in there perhaps. Actually, you can carry the measuring spoon if you cut the handle a bit and force it in the plunger airspace.

Coffee needs to be fine ground so if you're planning a long trek, you might have to have it sent out or find a supermarket with a self-service grinder.

Your cup needs to be the right diameter at the top; about 'large mug' size.

One cannot help but ponder the idea of using such a pump action filter to clean water and I wonder whether we will ever see something in Lexan that also has a filter disc for cleaning your water; then you could boil the assembly for a bit and use it to make coffee once again.

Ultimately, making coffee on this is a bit like using a burger press. It's just too plastic and mundane an experience. It doesn't have the rough and ready quality of a normal french press, nor does it have the refined quality of a real espresso machine/kettle. Now if they made it out of carbon fibre...

The endless quest for a good, lightweight brew kit continues. ;-)

If you've owned or used an Aerobie AeroPress, please share your experience.