ALPS Mountaineering Butterfly

Maybe one of the best things I've ever stumbled upon!

Design: mummy
Fill: fleece
Temperature Rating: 50F +
Weight: 1.1 lbs

Maybe one of the best things I've ever stumbled upon! Went camping a few weeks back in below 20 degree temps. Hey, no problem I got an external framer just chunk some more stuff inside and strap more out.

So that meant I brought a fleece blanket that weighs damn near close to the same as this "liner", and enough clothes for a refugee camp in Siberia. Long story short, I was plenty warm in my 32 degree bag + blanket + 2 LJs, Cords, and soccer warm up pants + about same set up for upper body.

Now I have an internal frame (gotta make the switch at some point for certain hikes where externals extra weight is a pain), and thus I lost a bit of room with it...ENTER the Butterfly! With a compression sack (I use Granite Gear Air Compressor) packs down to about the size of a novelty basketball (those little ones). Amazingly warm inside of another bag! I estimate around a 10 degree or more rise for your bag's temp rating! Very roomy, however I should mention I'm 5'8" and around 140 so I don't take up much room anyhoo.

Now, best part is not only do you get a "liner" for $35 that weighs only a pound (yea suckyness, thus the 4 star rating) more than other liners, you also get a real sleeping bag for those trips in the summer time to early fall. Basically I would have been a little wary at $50+, but for 35 hell, even if it hadn't worked well as a liner it still makes for one cheap but well crafted summer sack!

ALPS Mountaineering Butterfly

The Butterfly has been discontinued.

The ALPS Mountaineering Butterfly is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 14, 2010 at REI.

If you're looking for a new sleeping bag liner, check out the best reviewed current models.

Congratulations, Top Gear Reviewers of 2016