ALPS Mountaineering Denali 4500

Number of stays 2
Frame Material Aluminum
Access/Loading Top
Sleeping Bag Compartment Yes

I've had this pack for about a year now and have used…

I've had this pack for about a year now and have used it on about 14 trips.  It's been great for my normal 2-3 day hikes and overnights with my sons scout troop.  It has more than enough room for my normal 20-35 pound load (did I mention I hike with kids/scouts and their extra stuff).

On a few trips I have really overloaded the pack with climbing gear and the fact that the frame rails attach directly to the waist belt has let me handle the weight. The two outside pockets are perfect for a stove and fuel bottle on one side and rain suit and TP on the other.

On a side note, a short butane bottle won't quite fit in the outside pockets. The internal hydration bladder pocket is pretty waterproof and saved my gear from a pinhole leak in my water bladder.  The included rain cover has saved me twice now in some pretty extreme wind and rain and the fact that it is strapped to the pack keeps it from getting lost or blowing away when fumbling around in the darkness.

The adjustable suspension system allowed me to size the pack for my 13 year old so he could borrow my pack but the available "youth" size waist belt would be required to make it a perfect fit for him or the women in our clan.

The only reason this pack doesn't get a perfect 5 stars is I had an annoying creak coming from where the load lifter straps connect to the frame rail. I think I have finally cured it with a little parafin and a lot of fine tuning.

Also, the opening to the bottom sleeping bag compartment could be a little bigger.  It takes some twisting and turning to get a cinched down bag into it when the pack is loaded.  I use a tall bag so the extra few inches may make the difference.

Over all, a good pack at any price, a great pack at the retail price, and a really great pack at the price I paid.

Hike Safe and LNT

Visit ALPS Mountaineering's Denali 4500 page.

The ALPS Mountaineering Denali 4500 Backpack proves that you don't have to go broke to get a dependable backpack. At 4500cu in (74L), the Denali gives you plenty of space for a long weekend adventure, and it features ALPS Mountaineering's Comfort Glide suspension system, which adjusts easily to fit torsos between 16-22 inches. Load your sleeping bag in the bottom zippered compartment, your tent, food, and layers into the expandable main area, and a rain shell in one of the two front pockets. As an added bonus, ALPS Mountaineering equipped the Denali with an integrated rain fly and designed the top pocket to function as a lumbar pack.

- Backcountry Outlet

The Alps Denali pack delivers many features at a bargain price, making it great for experienced and entry-level outdoor enthusiasts alike. Adjustable suspension accommodates a range of torso lengths for a personalized fit. Back panel, shoulder straps and waistbelt feature padded, moisture-wicking fabric for coolness and comfort on the trail. Top-loading pack features an extendible lid and spindrift collar for large loads. Removable top lid doubles as a waistpack for short jaunts when you don't need a lot of gear. Hydration-compatible design features tabs to hang reservoir pocket inside and a drink-tube exit port for on-the-go hydration (reservoir sold separately). Bottom zippered opening offers easy external access to sleeping bag or gear at bottom of the pack; cinch cord divider separates contents from main bag. Detachable raincover in lower compartment protects your pack in sudden downpours. 2 front zippered pockets keep small, essential items within easy reach. Side compression straps let you cinch down loads for jostle-free carrying. Side water bottle pockets allow convenient, on-the-go hydration (water bottles sold separately). Additional features include dual gear loops, daisy chain and lash tabs. Special buy.

Ultra Strong Dynema Fabric Accents, Hip Hugger Waist Belt, Dual Aluminum Frame Stays, and Auto-adjust Load Lifters. Our Denali has our Comfort Glide Suspension System, this adjustment system will allow you to adjust to that perfect point. The SoftEdge shoulder straps have 2 layers of foam to give you maximum comfort. The modular waist belts have 2 layers of foam for maximum load carrying capabilities combined with the ultimate in comfort. The Air Mesh on the inside of the belt stretches with the foam so there are no wrinkles to rub against your body. The pack bag is as feature rich as the suspension. A lower access door has a #10 zipper for maximum durability. An internal divider gives you the option to divide your pack for the best storage utilization. The two front zippered pockets give you additional storage options. The top pocket extends to control the top of your pack and the "over the top" compression strap from the Kangaroo pocket keeps things in place. The multiple side compression straps help to stabilize the entire pack. Features Torso Range: 16" to 22" Weight: 5 lb. 2 oz. Fabric: Nylon Ripstop top 1000D bottom Integrated Rain Cover Top Pocket that Converts to a Fanny Pack Hydration Pocket and Port

- GearX.com

ALPS Mountaineering Denali 4500

The ALPS Mountaineering Denali 4500 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 3, 2012 at REI.

If you're looking for a new expedition pack (4,500+ cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.