ALPS Mountaineering Denali 4500

I've had this pack for about a year now and have used…

I've had this pack for about a year now and have used it on about 14 trips.  It's been great for my normal 2-3 day hikes and overnights with my sons scout troop.  It has more than enough room for my normal 20-35 pound load (did I mention I hike with kids/scouts and their extra stuff).

On a few trips I have really overloaded the pack with climbing gear and the fact that the frame rails attach directly to the waist belt has let me handle the weight. The two outside pockets are perfect for a stove and fuel bottle on one side and rain suit and TP on the other.

On a side note, a short butane bottle won't quite fit in the outside pockets. The internal hydration bladder pocket is pretty waterproof and saved my gear from a pinhole leak in my water bladder.  The included rain cover has saved me twice now in some pretty extreme wind and rain and the fact that it is strapped to the pack keeps it from getting lost or blowing away when fumbling around in the darkness.

The adjustable suspension system allowed me to size the pack for my 13 year old so he could borrow my pack but the available "youth" size waist belt would be required to make it a perfect fit for him or the women in our clan.

The only reason this pack doesn't get a perfect 5 stars is I had an annoying creak coming from where the load lifter straps connect to the frame rail. I think I have finally cured it with a little parafin and a lot of fine tuning.

Also, the opening to the bottom sleeping bag compartment could be a little bigger.  It takes some twisting and turning to get a cinched down bag into it when the pack is loaded.  I use a tall bag so the extra few inches may make the difference.

Over all, a good pack at any price, a great pack at the retail price, and a really great pack at the price I paid.

Hike Safe and LNT

If you've owned or used an ALPS Mountaineering Denali 4500, please share your experience.

ALPS Mountaineering Denali 4500

The ALPS Mountaineering Denali 4500 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 3, 2012 at REI.

If you're looking for a new expedition pack (4,500+ cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.

Weight 5 lb 2 oz