ALPS Mountaineering Denali 5500

Number of stays 2
Frame Material Aluminum
Access/Loading Top
Sleeping Bag Compartment Yes

This bag is huge. I have never filled to where I can…

This bag is huge. I have never filled to where I can fit no more.

It is simple. It has a top compartment that turns into a fanny pack a sleeping bag compartment then 2 zippered pockets that you could put your headlamps etc. 2 straps on each side of backpack where you could put your tent or chair.

I love it and it is just a simple bag that meets my standards.

I would say this is a very good pack for the money.

Design: top-loading internal
Size: 5500
Number of Pockets: 8
Max. Load Carried: 50 lbs.
Height of Owner: 5'10"

I would say this is a very good pack for the money. It has a ton of space and seems to be able to carry a heavy load without issue. Has a large pocket on top which is very convenient to separate the gear so you don't have to rummage around the main compartment. It also converts into a fanny pack for the day hikes.

Lots of ways to attach your gear to the outside too. The pack is comfortable and easy to adjust for your particular body type.

The weak point is the two small pocket zippers. They probably should be larger and more robust. This also makes it a little difficult to operate in the cold. I would not call this a major complaint, especially for the price.

ALPS Mountaineering Denali 5500

The ALPS Mountaineering Denali 5500 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen December 9, 2013 at Sierra Trading Post.

If you're looking for a new expedition pack (4,500+ cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.