ALPS Mountaineering Desert Pine -20

A warm, but heavy, bag at a good price. I've only…

Price Paid: $45 during a sale offered to Scout units

Summary

A warm, but heavy, bag at a good price.

Pros

• Warm
  • Inexpensive

Cons

• Heavy 6+ pounds
  • Temperature rating might be inaccurate

I've only used this bag once, under the stars on my porch, after having to cancel a Scout overnight due to dangerous roads. The temperature started around the 20s and the low was 16°F with windchill bringing it down to single digits. It wasn't snowing, but a lot of snow was blowing around.

I slept on a 2" self-inflatable air-mat and wore Polartec Powerdry expedition-weight base layer top and bottom, a Polartec Thermal Pro fleece jacket, a knit acrylic hat, thin acrylic gloves, and heavy wool socks.

I didn't have any trouble getting in the bag using the side zipper. It has plenty of room for me at 5'4" and 160 lbs. I didn't feel any drafts and slept pretty well through the night, starting off feeling comfortable. In the morning, though, I woke up cold curled up near the foot of the bag with snow in the bag's opening. I took my temperature when I woke up and found it to be about 95°F, a bit low. I would take another layer if using the bag in similar weather again.

I would have preferred the Crescent Lake which was $10 cheaper when I bought this. I think the bags are almost the same, just the Desert Pine has a compression stuff sack while the Crescent Lake has a standard stuff sack. The bag doesn't compress very much, but it fits into its stuff sack without a problem.

ALPS Mountaineering Desert Pine -20

The ALPS Mountaineering Desert Pine -20 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 22, 2014 at SunnySports.

If you're looking for a new cold weather synthetic sleeping bag, check out the best reviewed current models.