ALPS Mountaineering Desert Pine -20

A warm, but heavy, bag at a good price. I've only…

Price Paid: $45 during a sale offered to Scout units

Summary

A warm, but heavy, bag at a good price.

Pros

• Warm
  • Inexpensive

Cons

• Heavy 6+ pounds
  • Temperature rating might be inaccurate

I've only used this bag once, under the stars on my porch, after having to cancel a Scout overnight due to dangerous roads. The temperature started around the 20s and the low was 16°F with windchill bringing it down to single digits. It wasn't snowing, but a lot of snow was blowing around.

I slept on a 2" self-inflatable air-mat and wore Polartec Powerdry expedition-weight base layer top and bottom, a Polartec Thermal Pro fleece jacket, a knit acrylic hat, thin acrylic gloves, and heavy wool socks.

I didn't have any trouble getting in the bag using the side zipper. It has plenty of room for me at 5'4" and 160 lbs. I didn't feel any drafts and slept pretty well through the night, starting off feeling comfortable. In the morning, though, I woke up cold curled up near the foot of the bag with snow in the bag's opening. I took my temperature when I woke up and found it to be about 95°F, a bit low. I would take another layer if using the bag in similar weather again.

I would have preferred the Crescent Lake which was $10 cheaper when I bought this. I think the bags are almost the same, just the Desert Pine has a compression stuff sack while the Crescent Lake has a standard stuff sack. The bag doesn't compress very much, but it fits into its stuff sack without a problem.

ALPS Mountaineering Desert Pine -20F Sleeping BagThe ALPS Mountaineering Desert Pine -20F Sleeping Bag is perfect for giving you a warm bed in cold climes. With Techloft+ insulation comprising staple-length, multi-hole, micro-denier fibers ensures highest insulation, good loft and compactness. Its 2 layer offset construction is like giving you a bag inside a bag that keeps you cozy and warm. The bags are very heat sealable as they are made of Nylon Ripstop outer with polyester inner lining. The insulated chest and zipper baffles ensure minimum heat loss through typically vulnerable areas. Plus, comes with the contoured hood and mummy shape also help to reduce heat loss and keep you warmer. The ALPS Mountaineering Desert Pine -20F Sleeping Bag is so comfortable that you won't miss your regular bed.

- SunnySports

ALPS Mountaineering Desert Pine -20

The ALPS Mountaineering Desert Pine -20 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 22, 2014 at SunnySports.

If you're looking for a new cold weather synthetic sleeping bag, check out the best reviewed current models.