ALPS Mountaineering Jagged Peak 3

Overall this appears to be a pretty good tent. Contrary…

Price Paid: $175 + shipping

Summary

Overall this appears to be a pretty good tent. Contrary to some other reviews I've read, this is a true three-man tent. This is obviously not an alpine tent, but from what I've seen so far it does appear to be an excellent value. I will be testing it in Big Bend National Park for the next three weeks and will review further at that time.

Pros

• Sets up easily
  • Easily sleeps three adults
  • Clever aluminum tent pole system
  • Two vestibules for gear storage
  • Tons of guyout points

Cons

• The tent almost closes up completely — but not quite

Just got this tent yesterday and we set it up in the living room. I've read reviews stating the tent is too small to sleep 3 adults. Not so. Both of my adult sized sons and I have plenty of room in this tent for sleeping.  There are vestibules on either side of the tent for storage of packs, boots, etc.  IMO, when a tent is described as a "3-man", it means for sleeping in...not for setting up house.

This tent uses aluminum poles for support which was its biggest selling point to me.  One of the poles uses a couple of cleverly designed 3-spoke aluminum hubs.  That the hubs are made of aluminum instead of plastic says something about Alp's attention to quality IMO.

I was disappointed to find that this tent does not close up completely.  There is a window at each end that almost zips shut...but not quite.  To me, this detracts from Alp's "4-season" designation  When I'm tent camping and it's in the 'teens outside, I don't want even the tiniest draft inside my tent!

I do find it odd that there is a seam where the tent walls meet the floor. This is old school tent construction - but as long as the seam is sealed properly it shouldn't be a problem. We'll see.

We are carrying this tent to Big Bend National Park next week and I will review further after that.  Cheers.

If you've owned or used an ALPS Mountaineering Jagged Peak 3, please share your experience.

ALPS Mountaineering Jagged Peak 3

The ALPS Mountaineering Jagged Peak 3 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 14, 2014 at Backcountry.com.

If you're looking for a new four-season tent, check out the best reviewed current models.