ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 1

This is a lightweight backpacking tent. It sets up…

Summary

This is a lightweight backpacking tent. It sets up easy...and should you decide to move your tent after setup it's easy to move it put together.

Pros

• Easy setup and take down
  • Compact

Cons

• Tight quarters
  • Not a lot of space for extras inside (nature of the beast for a single tent)

I purchased this tent for a backpacking camping trip to prepare us for part of the Appalachian Trail. It was lightweight, compact, and extremely easy to set up. I purchased the mat to go under it and loved that they clip together (highly recommend). I have only used it on two trips so far and will be using it again on my third.

I'm 5'5" and slept comfortably inside. I can sit up in the center, but being it's a hiking tent there isn't a lot of room to do anything else.

I haven't had to deal with any rain yet, but I keep the vents open at night and have had no issue with condensation.

It does have a small pocket in which you can place at either end. This is great for your flashlight or phone. Depending on how big your pack is will depend on whether or not you'll be able to keep it outside in the vestibule. I kept my shoes outside but my pack was kinda big, so I may have to rethink that in the event of rain.

Overall so far I've had a great experience with it. On our last trip, I decided late at night to move my tent and all we had to do was pull up the stakes and pick it up and move it.

I am a novice when it comes to backpacking and hiking, but am excited about learning more as I go. After our first trip to Mt. Greylock, I am already looking to minimize my gear to be as light as possible to prepare for our Appalachian Trail hike.

Welcome to Trailspace, Shari! Thanks for taking the time to share a review of your tent. I hope you'll keep us posted on how the tent continues to work out for you. Enjoy your AT hike!

Good tent at a great price!! Love my ALPS Mountaineering…

Summary

Good tent at a great price!!

Pros

• Quick easy setup
  • Ample room in vestibule for gear
  • Well ventilated

Cons

• It's a bit narrow
  • Doesnt come with a footprint

Love my ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 1-person tent. It's small, light, easy to set up, and keeps your gear dry.

I used this late last fall (end of October) on a breezy weekend. It sprinkled off and on all Friday when I was setting up camp. Luckily the tent goes up quickly and I had a short break in the rain. I was warm and comfortable even though the wind blew all night long.

Thanks for the review, Chris. I hope you'll keep us posted on how your Lynx continues to work out for you.

Lightweight, packs small. Goes up easy. With vestibule,…

Summary

Lightweight, packs small. Goes up easy. With vestibule, plenty of room for sleeping and your gear. Great for backpackers who don't share a tent.

• Packs small
  • Good headroom

My first foray into the lightweight backpacking tent. It fit nicely into my pack as it was small enough to lie sideways right into the sleeping bag compartment. It has two poles with the simplest "X" setup design — no origami skills required. Inside I can lay down completely, AND, do a complete sit-up without touching my head on any part of the roof. I've tried tents where you can't even get a shirt on because you have to do everything lying down.

The fly goes on with just four buckle-clips, and no random extra parts/angles/strings where you have no idea how to use them. The vestibule is the first one I've seen work perfectly. You put ONE stake in the bottom, out from the door, and zipped up, it hold secure.

Unzipped, you have full access to the tent door, while still keeping your gear under the shelter. Best part is you don't need any strings to pull the fly away from the tent, avoiding the trip-mines in the dark found next to many tents.

There is literally NO way to fit more than one person in this tent, so it is only usable for the solo camper. But, in a group of adults, such as us Scout leaders, even camping together, it was nice to sleep alone.

In the morning, my tent was down and back in the sack, fly and all, before the coffee was hot. Very easy takedown and packing, long after you forget the exact folding method that it originally came with. I did my best, eyeballing the stuff sack, and got it in there with no struggle the first time. That is a real plus for me.

If you need something lightweight and packed small, but has everything you actually need in a tent, I would highly recommend this tent.

And, as a Scouter, give Alps Mountaineering a call and ask about their prices offered as a discount to those in the program.

FEATURES

• Free Standing 2 Pole Design with 7000 Series Aluminum Poles
  • Easy Assembly with Pole Clips
  • 75D 185T Polyester Fly resists UV damage and stays taut
  • Factory Sealed Fly & Floor Seams give best weather protection
  • 75D 185T Poly Taffeta Floor with 2000mm coating
  • Extra Large #8 Zippers on Door and Vestibule
  • Vestibule for gear storage and extra weather protection
  • Weatherproof Fly Buckles on for maximum adjustability and protection
  • Half Mesh Walls increase ventilation
  • Mesh Storage Pockets, Gear Loft, 7075 Aluminum Stakes and Guy Ropes Included

SPECS

Base Size: 7'6 x 2'8
Center Height: 3'
Vestibule Depth: 32"
Tent Area: 20 sq. ft.
Vestibule Area: 10 sq. ft.
Tent & Fly Weight: 3 lbs. 8 oz.
Total Weight: 3 lbs. 15 oz.
Packed Size: 6" x 17.5"
Pole Diameter: 8.5 mm

Welcome to Trailspace, Dru, and thanks for the review. Could you elaborate on the dimension and weight of this unit?

Welcome to Trailspace, Dru! It would be great to see a picture of this tent, if you have one to share.

This tent is great. It's tough, easy to set up, and…

Price Paid: About 100$

Summary

This tent is great. It's tough, easy to set up, and has yet to leak.

Pros

• Tough
  • Easy to set up
  • Cheap

Cons

• Heavy

I have used this tent about once month year round in the Adirondacks for the past two years and on an 8-day hike of the Northville Placid Trail. It has never let me down. Summer it vents nicely, spring and fall keeps the rain out and holds up to some mild winter snow and wind.

I got it because I wanted something inexpensive in case my dog ruined the floor, and two years later my 45 lb dog has yet to pop a hole in the floor. The vestibule for gear storage is also nice.

I gave it 4.5 stars because it is heavy by today's standards for a single person tent.

This tent is the perfect size, fits my Big Agnes bag…

Summary

This tent is the perfect size, fits my Big Agnes bag and pad perfectly with room at the head or foot for whatever items you need in your tent with you (headlamp, jacket, etc). Setup is quick and easy and I really like that you can sit up in it, so if you need to hunker down for a while and wait out the rain it is much better than other solo tents.

Pros

• Warm
  • Dry
  • Free-standing
  • Quality all the way around, especially noticeable in the zippers
  • Windows in the rainfly at either end

Cons

• The color, maybe?

I used this tent on a multi-day trip last week in the Wind River Range in Wyoming. The tent went up easy, was lightweight, and felt like everything was good quality. We had two pretty good rainstorms and I stayed bone dry.

This is my first one-man tent. I am transitioning from my sort of entry level Sierra Designs bivvy sack, so this tent feels big and nice. I really appreciated being able to sit up inside it. It was also fairly inexpensive.