ALPS Mountaineering Meramac 2

Pole Diameter 12.7 mm
Style Two-pole, Two Room
Use Rating 3 Season
Sleeps Six

For the price, this two-person tent is a good value.

Summary

For the price, this two-person tent is a good value. It is easy to set up, relatively lightweight and spacious enough for two people with some gear. I would buy it again.

Pros

• Ease of setup
  • Spacious
  • Two doors

Cons

• Zipper design
  • Fiberglass poles

I bought this tent early this year and have only had a chance to use it this summer. For the money that I spent, I really like this tent. It is not a true backpacking tent, but it works well for backpacking. I'm not sure if this would be a tent that I would take on extended trips, but for weekend/multiple day trips, it's good.
Alps-Mountaineering-Meramac-2.jpg

Setup: The tent setup is easy. It uses two poles for the tent and one ridge pole for the fly. It takes about 5 minutes for one person. Unfortunately, the poles are fiberglass (but I believe there is a model that Alps makes with aluminum poles). The poles attach to the tent via pole clips. The main pole clip on the top of the tent is only big enough to attach to one pole instead of two which allows the whichever pole that is not used to flop to the side until the other clips are secured.

Stability: The tent is high profile (roughly 4' high at the center) but is fairly stable. I have not used it in any high wind situations but have used it on the top of mountains in normal situations without any problems. The fly connects to the tent via clips that can then be cinched tight. Also, the fly has guy ropes on each corner.

Weather Resistance: The fly is urethane coated and repels water great. The tent itself is not coated. The fly completely covers the two sides and provides an awning over each door. The floor is factory sealed and keeps moisture out.

Ventilation: The two doors have windows that zip half way down the doors. The two sides of the tent have large mesh panels which allow quite a bit of air movement through the tent even with the fly (Side note: this feature also means that you probably don't want to use this tent in cold weather).

Room & Storage: The tent is two person but also is large enough to fit some gear as well. I routinely put two packs on one side of the 7 1/2 foot long floor and sleep comfortably with one other person. Also, there is enough room on the floor that two people do not touch while sleeping.

Packability: The tent packs nicely into about a 2' long bag. The bag is only about 6" wide but accommodates tent, fly, stakes, and poles with enough room that I can pack the footprint in as well. It weighs about 6 pounds.

Ease of use: Everything with the tent and fly work as expected. One caveat: I bought the footprint for this tent as well, but the footprint does not mirror the size of the floor as well as I had hoped. The foot print also does not attach to the tent very well, instead relying on the tent stakes to keep it in place.

Features: Having two doors in a major plus in my eyes. I love that part of the design as it allows each person to enter and exit the tent without disturbing the other person.

Conditions: I have used this on backpacking trips in the mountains of Virginia and West Virginia over the course of the spring/summer of 2015. I have several trips planned through the fall (even into very late fall), and I am lending to a friend for his two-week backpacking trip around Iceland. I may update this review based upon those experiences.

Thanks for the helpful review of your tent, Gabe! I hope you'll let us know how your tent continues to work out for you. It sounds like it's headed off on some good adventures, including Iceland.

15 hours ago