ALPS Mountaineering Monarch Pass 20

I found this particular mummy bag on a closeout at…

Design: mummy
Fill: Polarguard 3D
Temperature Rating: 20 degrees Farenheight
Weight: 3lbs 14ozs

I found this particular mummy bag on a closeout at gearx.com for just a hair under 100 bucks, so I decided to grab it up since ALPS has discontinued this model. I got to use it this weekend on a camping trip to Mirror Lake State Park here in Wisconsin. This is the best mummy bag I used so far! As much as I love my other ALPS bags, this Monarch Pass "stuffs" smaller and weighs less than either my former Silver Springs or my present Crescent Lake. I noticed the weight difference right away plus it definitely will fit into my backpack much easier!

As for the actual performance, this bag kept me very warm Saturday night--no "cold spots" or any sign of cold air creeping in, thanks to the nicely insulated zipper and chest tubes. No snaggy zipper with this bag either--a real improvement over my other ALPS bags. As for the fit, it was right on--34 inches on the long version (which is the bag I purchased by the way), no waking up to cramped shoulders. The Polarguard 3D insulation worked very good. To sum it up this is one VERY GOOD mummy bag--I wonder why ALPS discontinued it for this year. Afterall it was their top-of-the-line synthetic mummy for many years.

ALPS Mountaineering Monarch Pass 20

The Monarch Pass 20 has been discontinued.

The ALPS Mountaineering Monarch Pass 20 is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new 3-season synthetic sleeping bag, check out the best reviewed current models.

DeLorme inReach SE Review