ALPS Mountaineering Monarch Pass 20

I found this particular mummy bag on a closeout at…

Design: mummy
Fill: Polarguard 3D
Temperature Rating: 20 degrees Farenheight
Weight: 3lbs 14ozs

I found this particular mummy bag on a closeout at gearx.com for just a hair under 100 bucks, so I decided to grab it up since ALPS has discontinued this model. I got to use it this weekend on a camping trip to Mirror Lake State Park here in Wisconsin. This is the best mummy bag I used so far! As much as I love my other ALPS bags, this Monarch Pass "stuffs" smaller and weighs less than either my former Silver Springs or my present Crescent Lake. I noticed the weight difference right away plus it definitely will fit into my backpack much easier!

As for the actual performance, this bag kept me very warm Saturday night--no "cold spots" or any sign of cold air creeping in, thanks to the nicely insulated zipper and chest tubes. No snaggy zipper with this bag either--a real improvement over my other ALPS bags. As for the fit, it was right on--34 inches on the long version (which is the bag I purchased by the way), no waking up to cramped shoulders. The Polarguard 3D insulation worked very good. To sum it up this is one VERY GOOD mummy bag--I wonder why ALPS discontinued it for this year. Afterall it was their top-of-the-line synthetic mummy for many years.