ALPS Mountaineering Red Tail

I was looking for a pack that wouldn't break the bank,…

I was looking for a pack that wouldn't break the bank, but wouldn't kill my back either. I bought this pack about 2 years ago and I have been extremely happy with it. I've been on 3-4 day trips and I've still yet to completely fill this thing. I'm glad to have the extra room even if it means I'm carrying a few more ounces.

The shoulders straps and hip belt are fairly comfortable. I read one review where someone complained about a clicking noise while hiking. I was on the trail one day and all of the sudden heard what he was complaining about. It was merely the way the load strap was situated and a slight adjustment and it was gone.

I'm a big fan of other brands packs, but seriously for the money you cannot go wrong with this pack. I highly recommend it for the beginning to intermediate backpacker. It's lite enough and has room for everything.

If you're one of those guys that measure every single ounce I could understand paying $300-$400 for another brand. But the load carries very well on this pack and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

If you've owned or used an ALPS Mountaineering Red Tail, please share your experience.