ALPS Mountaineering Sector 4200

Well fitting, value conscious pack that is short on…

Summary

Well fitting, value conscious pack that is short on some details.

Pros

• Inexpensive
  • Large

Cons

• No hip belt or shoulder pockets
  • Won't dry
  • Heavy with a capital H

This was my first high volume backpack since my military days 15 years ago. Purchased the ALPS Mountaineering Sector 4200 online from REI because of the price and in spite of some lacking features, notably pockets on the hip belt and shoulder straps.

It is a comfortable pack at heavy weights. The load lifters and adjustable straps make for an easy carry whatever your pack weight. The hip belt in particular is solid and comfortable.

It features a divided sleeping bag compartment with a bottom zipper, which I miss in my current packs, a detachable fanny pack brain, and hydration ports and bag compatibility. It has loops sewn all over the pack for attaching things, but doesn't have a way to stow a pad on the bottom other than using the ice axe loops.
The seams on the shoulder straps started unraveling after a few months of use. The exterior mesh pockets and body construction held up well, however.

The back padding has a chimney for air circulation. In my experience with the pack it didn't work well, and the padding acted like a sponge for sweat, really holding it in. The included and detachable rain fly was basically worthless, and after a good rain this 5lb 2oz pack easily became a 10lb pack!

This is a good example of buying right once to save money later. After owning it for about a year, I ended up selling this pack for $40 at an outdoor consignment shop. This pack is OK if you are on a tight budget and need a high volume (69+ liters) framed pack to carry heavy loads, but I certainly wouldn't want to use it for an extended hike.

Note: I took it apart completely to clean it for sale, and couldn't get it back together. A representative from ALPS Mountaineering called me direct from their offices in MO, which I thought was very cool. Good customer service.

Thanks for the review, Andy. It's nice to know that even though this pack didn't work out for you that the company was still helpful when you needed them.

Andy Gotto

I've seen some of ALPS Mountaineerings other products review, and they have a sleeping pad and bag liner I've got my eye on. They seem like a good company.

1 year ago

Good luck, Andy. Please let us know how any other Alps gear works out for you.