ALPS Mountaineering Summit Tent

Nice tent; roomy, but light for shorter hikes; easy…

Summary

Nice tent; roomy, but light for shorter hikes; easy to set up and pack up! Highly recommend!

I'm really pleased with how easy the tent is to set up and take down. It's also very comfortable and keeps occupants dry in a downpour! I really like the Alps Mountaineering gear!

Well made, not very heavy, family tent for fair weather…

Price Paid: $68 on sale!

Summary

Well made, not very heavy, family tent for fair weather car camping trips. Great for families of 4 with small kids. Tons of room in the tent, especially high ceilings. Not great for inclement weather. Recommended if you can store gear in another place.

Pros

• Roomy
  • Well made, good materials
  • Easy to set up
  • Heavy-duty floor, no need for a ground sheet
  • Great value

Cons

• Only 1 door
  • No vestibule
  • Fly doesn't cover the entire tent
  • Somewhat heavy

Setup

Setting up this tent is a fairly easy affair. There are two main tent poles that hold up the tent, and a shorter one that extends the fly over the entrance. In usual ALPS Mountaineering style, the tent poles hooked onto the tent with sawn-on hooks. The fly pole was a little tight to get into the fly, but very doable. Once on, the fly attaches to the tent via buckles on each of the four corners.

Stability

This is a free-standing tent, so it stands very well by itself, strong in the wind. Comes with several aluminum stakes which could be used to further stabilize the tent - but not necessary in fair weather, as the tent itself is pretty heavy.

Weather Resistance

One of the strongest features of this tent is the floor. It's made of nylon tarp material - strong, waterproof and resilient to sharp items on the ground. I don't think it's necessary to pitch this tent on a tarp, as the included floor is strong enough. The tent material itself is high quality, and the fly does cover the mesh parts well. One disappointment is that the fly does not cover the entire tent, only the top, and so you don't have a vestibule where to stash your stuff. This tent is strictly for car camping.

Room & Storage

As I mentioned in the last section, this tent does not have a vestibule for gear storage, so it definitely loses some points there. There are pockets on the inside where you can stash a light, or something packable, but overall, there isn't much storage here.

On the other hand, there is plenty of room! We fit a queen blow up mattress and a twin bedroom side to side here, and had a little bit of room on the side. There were four of us sleeping in this tent, and we all felt there was enough room. We are not very large people, however, so your milage may vary.

Features

One of the biggest disappointments with this tent is that there is only one door! The door is in the front of the tent, and there is a vent/window in the back, but it doesn't open all the way. I feel like a tent of this size should have two doors, so that parents can leave without waking the kids. As is, we always walked in through the front door, which wasn't great for kids' sleep. On the plus size, the door was a full-size mesh, with a water-resistant layer for when it became cold/wet. The vent in the back was same.

Conclusion

If you are car camping with your kids, and you can stash your stuff in your car or near your tent, and you don't expect a downpour, this is a good tent! It's roomy, well made and is tough. If I were to change anything about the this tent, I would add a second door. I would also consider making a vestibule at least next to one of the doors for stashing stuff.

thetentman RETAILER

I don't understand, you bought a 1 door tent when you wanted 2 doors. You want a vestibule but got a tent without one. And then you complain, like it's the tents fault that you did not get the tent you wanted. You don't trust the tent in rain and yet you never mention the waterproofing and have never apparently used it in rain. And it's only good for "car camping"? what if I had a canoe? Also I might point out that the ground cloths purpose is not necessarily for water prevention but to protect the floor from rips and holes and to keep it clean. Remember a tent floor is only waterproof until YOU put a hole in it. Better safe than sorry. Ground in dirt can damage a tent floor very easily and packing a tent with a dirty floor can be a messy affair.

thetentman RETAILER

Oh and you had better use all the stakes and guylines. An unsecured tent is a recipe for disaster. And I don't care if its 'fair weather' because it will change. And there is no tent that is heavy enough not to be damaged by wind without proper staking and guying. NONE!

Anatoly G

I think it's a pretty common scenario to learn what you need post fact. Family camping is somewhat of a new thing for us, and normally I use a single door ultralight shelter. Once I started using this tent, the one door limitation became more clear. You live and learn. As far as waterproofing, I take that to mean standing up in the rain, as opposed to being in a canoe in water. I think this tent will do fine in the rain, however, without a vestibule, there isn't a place to hide if, say, you want to cook something outside the tent. Thanks for your feedback, I'll integrate some of these points into future reviews.