ALPS Mountaineering Vertex 4.0

Great 4-person tent for the money. I just got back…

Design: three-season freestanding dome
Ease of Setup: Easy. 1 H-shaped pole. Fly clips on.
Weight: 7lbs

Great 4-person tent for the money. I just got back from a trip with this tent and I'm pretty impressed with the performance and features. The tent doesn't pack down small like some backpacking tents and it would be a little heavy for an extended hike, but for weekend backpacking trips and non-strenuous hikes it is pretty good.

It got down into the mid 40s and rained pretty hard on our trip for the first two days. The rainfly on this tent covers the whole thing and it shrugged off the rain and wind easily. It even felt relatively warm inside because of the coverage and we made use of the front vestibule. Extras include a mesh pocket and mesh 'shelf' that hangs from the ceiling. Factory waterproofing was enough to keep the tent dry, but on the second day rain no longer beaded up on the fly. I didn't have a tarp or footprint but I will get one, the floor is thin and I was nervous about the rough ground.

As usual, putting four adults in here might be stretching the limits of your friendship but three should fit comfortably.

If you've owned or used an ALPS Mountaineering Vertex 4.0, please share your experience.

ALPS Mountaineering Vertex 4.0

The ALPS Mountaineering Vertex 4.0 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 3, 2013 at Backcountry.com.

Base Size 7 ft 6 in x 8 ft 6 in