Arc'teryx Altra 75

Regular Tall
Weight 2.3 kg / 81 oz 2.4 kg / 85 oz
Capacity 75 L / 4577 cu in, extends to 82 L / 5004 cu in 79 L / 4821 cu in, extends to 86 L / 5248 cu in
Materials 100D Invista HT Mini Ripstop™ with Silicone and PU Coatings, 420ACT Fabric, 420D Invista HT Plain Weave, EV®50 Foam, Hypalon™ Trim, Spacermesh™, 210D Ripstorm™ with Silicone and PU Coatings, 840D Stretch Mesh, EV®50 Perforated Foam, 6061 Aluminum Stays, Plastazote® HD80® 100D Invista HT Mini Ripstop™ with Silicone and PU Coatings, 420ACT Fabric, 420D Invista HT Plain Weave, EV®50 Foam, Hypalon™ Trim, Spacermesh™, 210D Ripstorm™ with Silicone and PU Coatings, 840D Stretch Mesh, EV®50 Perforated Foam, 6061 Aluminum Stays, Plastazote® HD80®

The Arc'teryx Altra is a good pack, the swivel belt…

Price Paid: $437 (including tax)

Summary

The Arc'teryx Altra is a good pack, the swivel belt helps adjust all weight, the pack literally moves with me! When I put 50 lbs in it, as long as I have properly distributed the weight it feels like I have 30 lbs due to the swivel belt.

I would recommend the Altra to experienced backpackers. It is very pricey. If you are looking for the perfect pack for your next month long trip, check this pack out!

Pros

• Waist belt
  • Quality of material
  • Full body zipper
  • Great strapping system

Cons

• Zippers are not all waterproof
  • Doesn't feel like it is actually made to fit 75 liters

OK, first of all this is my first "high quality backpack." Before I used cheaper stuff, and while it worked, after a 200-mile hike I was wanting something good. I went to an outfitting store and I must confess, I was looking at Osprey brand packs. A sales associate came by and when I said about what I like doing, want in a pack, and plan to do in the future, she told me to check out the Altra. It was love at first sight.

I put it on, felt the nice swivel as I moved my hips, and knew this might be for me. We put about 30 lbs in the pack for me to test it, and I went around the stairs and a course; I was sold.

The con was the price of the pack, but I realized that while the Osprey brand packs were about $100 cheaper, the swivel belt was worth it. After a lot of looking into the pack and other reviews, I returned and bought the pack.

I have only put 150-200 miles on it so far (I got it in January of 2014) but it has been a perfect time. At first I had problems, I had to get used to distributing the weight just right with the pack, otherwise it would be a hassle, but after practice I found the perfect point for me.

I took the Altra on a 6-day backpacking trip along the OHT in Arkansas for my spring break and this proved to be the best test of the pack. It worked smoothly and I had almost no complaints (I will touch this point in a bit).

OK, so I have told my experience with the pack, now down to the details. As I have said before, the swivel belt is amazing. My pack has the headrest area, so I can properly lean my head back and look up without hitting my head against the pack! This was amazing because I love looking around while adventuring.

This pack has one large main pouch, and an extra pouch outside of the main part of the pack, and a large "brain" which has two uppers pockets and a pocket on the underside of the "brain" there is an abundance of compression lines and other pulleys, allowing you to adjust the pack to how you like it.

As for hydration bladders, instead of the traditional pouch down the middle, the Altra has its pouch for your hydration sack on the inside on the right flap of your pack. This is quite nice because you don't have to worry about putting all the weight from other gear on it, but a bit of a pain for those of us who like to have the hydration hose on our left side (a very minor complaint). There is a bottom flap to fit your tent or sleeping bag on, and two side pockets for your water bottles.

Now be wary when you buy your pack. There was a malfunction with the buckles and some of the Altras do NOT have the Arc'teryx brand buckle on when you buy them. This was my case and the buckle on the pack was very annoying and had to be constantly readjusted. But I called Arc'teryx about this and they told me I had a malfunction, and they sent me the right buckle free of charge and the staff was very kind.

The pack is water resistant, so if you are just having light rain I wouldn't worry, but anything serious and I get the pack cover out. The problem is that you have all theses zippers on the pack, which are great, but they are not waterproof so the water will seep in.

I love my Altra and think it is the perfect pack for me (but am always open to try new stuff). I would recommend you look at your needs and wants, look at the pros and the cons, try the pack out, and see if this pack is right for you.

Kris, this is an excellent first review. Also, I plan to hike 6 days on the OHT next spring.

Ashleigh MODERATOR

Nice review, Kris! I have an Arc'teryx Altra 48 that I received for testing for the Trailspace Review Corps. It is a really nice pack! I love all of the pockets that the Altra has. The shoulder pads and hipbelt are far superior in your Altra 75, though. Keep up the great reviews! :)

Daniel Oates

Great review, Kris. Can't complain about that customer service either! It's always something to consider with gear is the non-materialistic aspect. I haven't come across any Arc'teryx packs personally, but it sounds great. Thanks!

Granted, I have only used this pack twice, but it…

Source: bought via a "pro deal"
Price Paid: Well under MSRP

Summary

Granted, I have only used this pack twice, but it is EXTREMELY comfortable and the accessibility to items is unparalleled. When the pack was first delivered, it had a small tooth broken on the load-transfer disc.

Arc'teryx is the best company I have ever dealt with, concerning a warranty. As soon as I dropped the "Return for Warranty" box, They shipped out the new one. I used it for a 3-day and 5-day A.T. trip, and it was OUTSTANDING. The load transfer disc gave me extreme range of motion. I LOVE THIS PACK.

Pros

• Comfort
  • Easy access to everything
  • innovative design
  • Great warranty/customer service

Cons

• The first one I received was slightly damaged
  • The free moving hip belt takes some getting-used-to
  • Needs to also be in LEAF line, with camo/earth tone colors

I originally ordered this pack, and when I received it had a tooth missing on the female end of the load transfer disc(To tell you the truth, I think I actually broke it). Arc'teryx emailed me a new return label immediately because I lost the original that came with it.  As soon as they had verification that I had dropped the broken one off at FedEx, they shipped the new one, same day.

When I received the new one, I immediately got to work fitting it to me and trying different load outs. It was amazing how many packing options I had. The upside-down U-shaped opening to the main storage compartment is AWESOME. There was not an item in my load out that I could not access withing 15 seconds. The "Smaller {Not Really)" front pocket on the outside of the main compartment is very long and can support a rolled up sleeping mat. I can actually fit my AR-15 in this pocket, and I am currently thinking of ways to pad and support the rifle while in there.

The first trip was very rainy, and I did not yet own a rain cover for the pack. It was exposed to a lot, and was more water resistant than I would have thought. The second trip was picturesque, and we ended up doing a lot more miles than we originally intended. It was terribly comfortable. I was not expected these trips to be as comfortable, because my girlfriend is new to backpacking and I was carrying a lot of stuff for her.

I love Arc'teryx stuff! Yes, it is expensive! But that extra money is going into innovative research, development, and design. Because of this, I have found everything that I have I gotten from them to be extraordinary. I think Arc'teryx should write me a check, because I am their biggest Fan-boy.

Visit Arc'teryx's Altra 75 page.

The top-loading Arc'teryx Altra 75 Backpack has a full length inverted U-zipper for panel-loading convenience, and breathable shoulder straps, backpanel and hipbelt offer warm weather comfort. This large volume trekking pack combines lightweight and durable traditional materials with Arc'teryx patented AC2 suspension system, delivering maximum comfort and load control in a lightweight package. Laminated and padded compression wings provide zipper protection and storage.

- CampSaver.com

Bring the Arc'teryx Altra 75 pack on your next gear-heavy, multiday trip or light-and-fast, long-range adventure. It combines an advanced suspension system with a sturdy frame and light materials.

The Arc'teryx Altra 75 Backpack will pack your gear for trip ranging from 1 up to 4 days. This a very efficient mid-sized pack with a killer weight-to-carry quotient, which ultimately saves you energy. Twin aluminum stays Double chamber top lid for easy access and organization Extendable top lid and extension collar Hydration sleeve external access point Large front kangaroo pocket for frequently used items Shoulder straps adjust height and width Back panel sits away from back to provide ventilation U-shaped zipper from easy access One-handed easy access pockets Load-distributing transfer disc

- OMCgear

Noticed that your bindle has started to get a little ragged' Fanny pack not carrying gear like it used to' Starting to accumulate actual backpacking gear' If you're looking for a more civilized trekking experience, the Arc'teryx Altra 75 Men's Backpack is a great bet to carry everything you need for a week-long trip, with seriously thoughtful features and a comfortable, customizable design that won't slow you down or beat you up. With a fantastic weight-to-volume ratio, the Altra is tailor-made for long, gear-intensive trips where small amounts of weight add up quickly. To keep the Altra from getting heavy, Arc'teryx built it with aluminum stays and lightweight but bulletproof nylon fabrics, along with a high-density foam C2 suspension system that uses fewer layers than traditional back panels and is designed to sit slightly off of your back for excellent ventilation. The Altra also features a full U-zipper, letting you use it as a traditional top-access bag or giving you full access to the contents when you're loading up or unpacking. Four-way adjustable GridLock shoulder straps and a Rotating Load Transfer Disc hip belt system that pivots with your hips, keeping the load centered and comfortable even when you're moving through rough terrain. The Altra's also clearly been designed by people who actually use packs and understand what backpackers are looking for. A full U-zipper opens the main compartment of your pack, making loading up or finding things at the bottom a breeze. Wingman hip pockets are easily-accessible while you're wearing the Altra, so you can quickly grab water, gloves, or a jacket, and a brain pocket is designed specifically to hold a water bladder, so you can refill without having to dig deep into the contents of the main pocket. It also has all the requisite external straps and gear loops, and the regular/tall size comes with an extendable collar to pack even more volume. If it doesn't fit in the Altra, you probably shouldn't be bringing it.