Arc'teryx Arrakis 40

Regular Tall
Weight 1.9 kg / 67 oz 2 kg / 71 oz
Capacity 40 L / 2441 cu in 43 L / 2624 cu in
Materials 420ACT Fabric, Spacermesh™, Tweave® Durastretch®, 7075 Aluminum Stays, Plastazote® HD80® 420ACT Fabric, Spacermesh™, Tweave® Durastretch®, 7075 Aluminum Stays, Plastazote® HD80®

I’ve used this pack while hiking and winter mountaineering…

I’ve used this pack while hiking and winter mountaineering for nearly 3 seasons now and find it to be a very solid, comfortable and functional backpack. My size is Tall and thus, its 2,600+ cubic inch volume is suitable for fall, winter and early spring seasonal use when the demand for extras require greater pack volume.

When I first donned the pack, I immediately noticed the comfort provided by Arc'teryx’s Grid-Lock shoulder strap system and the accompanying pivoting lumbar pad hip-belt and Load Transfer Disc.  The combination of the pivoting disc and comfortable suspension system immediately reduced stress on my back and the pack felt secured to my back with great comfort.

The lumbar pad hip belt was surprisingly comfortable, and I noticed that my hands and trekking poles were able to be closer to my hips during movement. Also, the Monoframe back-panel fits the shape of my back nicely.

Overall, these features provide a very pleasing feel. I’ve adjusted the Grid-Lock system twice to confirm the best feel and have never had to reposition since.  It all works very well and without any noise, ever!

The outer fabric is very durable and takes a good beating. Its water-tight zippers keep items dry inside; however, I’m yet to fully test them in a serious downpour. The 3D shaped pattern works remarkably well and I’m never in want of more space. I can pack this thing right out to its limits.

I must confess that I’ve initially thought about how Arc'teryx should have perhaps added some sort of compression strap system on the outer sides of the pack, but I continue to be amazed at how well the 3D pattern shape works.  Whether there is less or more in the pack, there really isn’t a need to cinch.

The roll-top closure is very accessible and enables quick opening and closure; I like this feature very much. The buckles and fasteners are strong and well made; their shape and functionality dictate well thought technology. The front kangaroo pocket is shaped and sized perfectly for my use and I especially like its full-length side access zipper. The top pocket is roomy and the internal pockets are very well thought out.

If you’re into hose and bladder use, as I am from time to time, the internal bladder sleeve, zippered hose cut-out (right side) and hose clip are great features.  And, the hose clip will secure even the fattest of insulated hoses you’ll find on the market.

The pack’s external attachment features (lash ladders) work well and can secure just about anything and at different angles, depending on your needs. I first used lash ladders on a pack I purchased in the mid-1970’s and have always found them to be strong and they provide an excellent “lashing platform”.

I especially like the combination dongle/Velcro strap ice axe attachment for securing my axes onto the pack (i.e. a Bulldog axe or full length 80 cm ice axe). They sit at the right angle and are always very well secured.

Overall I rate this pack high and given its great comfort, durability and functionality I plan to use it well into the future.

Visit Arc'teryx's Arrakis 40 page.

With a seam-sealed, functionally waterproof roll top closure, the Arc'teryx Arrakis 40 Backpack protects your gear on everything from a backcountry ski tour to a multi-pitch rock climb. A high-density polyethylene foam back panel and aluminum stays give you comfortable support without added weight, and the GridLock adjustable shoulder straps help you dial in your fit. Strap your board, skis, rope, or pad on with the external compression straps, and store your avy gear in the side pocket or internal sleeve.

The Arc'teryx Arrakis 40L Backpack combines AC2 technology and convenient dual-stage RollTop closure. This versatile, highly weather resistant pack is ideal for skiing, cragging and hiking. A large kangaroo pocket effortlessly stows/separates critical gear such as shovel, skins and outerwear. This pack features our GridLock shoulder strap adjustment system, rotating Load Transfer Disc and a low profile, pivoting hipbelt.

- CampSaver.com

Gear up for ice climbing with the water, rock, and snow-ready Arrakis 40 backpack from ARCTERYX that supports your back with a high-density foam backpanel, lumbar pad, and pivoting hipbelt that allows the free movement of your hips. Complete with pockets for tools, small items, and a convenient side stash compartment, this pack is ready for ice and snow with laminated moulded AC2 Fusion Points, sealed seams, and laminated zippers.

- Mountain Gear

Free Shipping. Arcteryx Arrakis 40 Pack DECENT FEATURES of the Arcteryx Arrakis 40 Pack AC2 (Advanced Composite Construction) suspension system Built with ACT highly-durable, weather resistant, fully seam-sealed fabric Extendable RollTop closure provides a weather resistant seal Top pocket with key clip Mini security pocket Thermoformed shoulder straps GridLock system adjusts for height and width Laminated AC2 fusion points Kangaroo pocket with drain hole Hydration bladder compatible via the Hydroport and Hydro Tube Clip WaterTight external zippers Ice tool carry system Probe / tool pocket Lumbar pad hipbelt with 50 mm / 2 inch webbing The SPECS 420D ACT Fabric 6005-T6 extruded aluminum M-bar stays HD 80 foam Hypercell foam Spacermesh The SPECS for Regular Volume: 2440 cubic inches / 40 liter Weight: 67 oz / 1900 g The SPECS for Tall Volume: 2624 cubic inches / 43 liter Weight: 71 oz / 2000 g This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

Arc'teryx Arrakis 40

The Arc'teryx Arrakis 40 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 28, 2014 at Backcountry.com.