Light, warm, and flexible. The Arc'teryx Atom AR fits…

Summary

Light, warm, and flexible. The Arc'teryx Atom AR fits true to form and allows for a full range of motion. The extra insulation in all the right places is worth the extra money if you are looking to stay light without sacrificing the warmth.

Pros

• Warm synthetic insulation
  • Excellent fit; true to form
  • Light and fast
  • Easily packed
  • Regulated temperature well
  • Breathes

Cons

• Cut may be short for long torsos
  • Not fully waterproof
  • Not much room for thicker layers underneath
  • On the expensive side

Since purchasing the Arc'teryx Atom AR I have found it difficult to get myself to wear any other jacket in my wardrobe. It looks great and performs even better.

Although I would not recommend wearing the Atom AR as your outer layer if you are expecting to encounter any precipitation beyond a light snow shower or drizzle, if you do find yourself in a sudden deluge, the synthetic insulation drys fast.

While the Atom AR may be cut a little short for someone with a longer torso, the overall fit is excellent.

So far I have only really been able to test the Atom AR on a short hike, and while riding my bike around town or to commute to work. That being said, both of these activities, the layer being daily, are much more comfortable since acquiring the Atom AR. I do not find myself getting cold in the least, thanks to the wind resistant outer fabric used. Sweating is also not much of an issue due to the breathable CoreLoft insulation.

The Arc'teryx Atom AR Jacket certainly fulfills the all around name it was given. Despite the moderately high price of the jacket, I find it difficult to find very many shortfalls with the Atom AR.

Thanks for the review of your Atom AR, Timothy. I hope you'll keep us posted on how it continues to work out for you. If you have any pictures to share of it in use, those would be great to see too.

Thanks for the review. Is the shorter cut for use with a climbing harness? I have a great work coat that was designed for those wearing a tool belt. I use it on my challenge course, as it stays out of the way of my harness.