Arc'teryx Atom SV Hoody

Sizes S, M, L, XL, XXL
Weight 475 g / 1 lb 0.8 oz
Fit Athletic fit, Hip Length
Materials Gossamera™—100% Nylon ripstop fabric with water repellant coating, Coreloft™ 100 gm / sq m insulation

I had the TNF Summit series Optimus Jacket before…

I had the TNF Summit series Optimus Jacket before it got stolen. I loved it, but I always was a bit cold in it (I live in Canada where winter hits with -10 to -30 degrees C). I thought that this was the price to pay not to be overly sweaty when cross country skiing or doing some other strenuous exercise.

This was until I got the new Arc'teryx SV (2011). This jacket is cozy, warm and breathes like nothing else. It keeps your body magically at the right temperature even at a windy -30 on top of a mountain and never have I got this cold sweaty feeling creeping up the spine when I stopped sking. The inside materials are silky smooth without any static or plastiky feel to it. You actually get kind of hooked to the feel, so you don't want to take it off anymore.

The outside layer keeps the wind out and seems to repel water well enough. (I rolled into a pond of water during a missed decent of cross country skiing and the jacket didn't wet.) The hood is easily adjustable to keep your vision clear and your head protected. This saves you much suffering when you brave a stormy -30 degrees C you weren't prepared for.

The only problem I see, is that this jacket is very light and fluffy and so looses some of it's magic when you layer it under a Hardshell. You can feel the cold in the shoulder region where the shell crushes the insulation.

So all in all, it is a piece of magic. It keeps the wind out and the heat in without ever feeling sweaty. But the real hooker are the inside materials that just make you feel incredibly cozy when wearing it. It's very probably the best mid layer jacket out there... if you're not layering.

Warm synthetic jacket, windproof, large. My "I passed…

Summary

Warm synthetic jacket, windproof, large. My "I passed national boards" jacket.

Pros

• Warmth
  • Weight

Cons

• Durability

Fit: Looser fit than other dead bird gear. I am 5'9", 195 lbs and I have a size large. It is almost too big on me.  I have the Atom LT Jacket size large; it is just right on me.

Warmth: I have only used this jacket in SF for cold mornings going to school on my scooter. While my hands freeze, I'm not shivering at all. I know, SF is mild but this has been a cold winter.

Durability: Walking out of the dental clinic, the jacket snagged on door hinges. Small, almost invisible thread pull

That is the extent of my use for this jacket. I like it so far.

Visit Arc'teryx's Atom SV Hoody page.

Chilly belays and frigid summit attempts won't stand a chance against the Atom SV Hoody. Whether it's an outer shell or a toasty mid-layer, this burly synthetically insulated hoody keeps the cold outside, where it belongs. Moisture-resistant outer face fabric Breathable Insulated Lightweight Compressible and packable Wind resistant Articulated elbows Gusseted underarms Insulated hood Integrated fitted collar panel for added warmth and comfort Full front zip with wind flap Stretch-woven cuffs Drop back hem Adjustable hem drawcord Internal chest pocket Two hand pockets

- OMCgear

When it's subzero and wet, layer up with the super-warm and burly Arc'teryx Men's Atom SV Hooded Insulated Jacket; when the storm clears but the cold persists, shed the shell and go solo with this hoodie. Water- and wind-resistant stretch nylon Gossamera shell fends off light precip, and Coreloft insulation provides toasty warmth in resilient, compressible comfort. The insulated StormHood warms and protects, and stretch jersey cuffs comfortably seal out the cold. With this protection, stretchy mobility, and warmth, the Atom is versatile enough for any cold-weather adventure.

On Sale. Free Shipping. Arcteryx Men's Atom SV Hoody FEATURES of the Arcteryx Men's Atom SV Hoody Light, durable and wind resistant face fabric withstands abrasion and wear while DWR finish repels moisture Warm and resilient synthetic Coreloft insulation Insulated StormHood Two zippered hand pockets, internal chest pocket with zipper Jersey knit stretch cuffs fit comfortably over hands SPECIFICATIONS of the Arcteryx Men's Atom SV Hoody Weight: 16.8 oz / 475 g Fit: Athletic, hip length Gossamera - 100% nylon Coreloft 100 insulation (100 g/m2) This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

The ARCTERYX Atom SV Hoody is significantly warmer and more protective than a fleece all while being compressible and light weight. Its Coreloft synthetic insulation makes a great mid layer in severe weather or an outer layer when you just need something to take the chill off when you're belaying your partner up the next pitch.

- Mountain Gear