Arc'teryx Konseal Jacket

An excellent lightweight mid-layer, suitable for a…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

An excellent lightweight mid-layer, suitable for a wide variety of conditions.

Pros

• Breatheable
  • Warm

Cons

• None so far

After reading that this product won a Polartec Apex award for 2013, I decided that I really wanted to try it out for myself.

Out of the box, the fit is close and trim. The only (very minor) quibble is that the sleeves are a bit long for me, though that may be to accommodate the thumb holes in the cuff.

The Polartec Power Dry Hardface fabric is soft and warm on the inside. There is a light water-repellent finish, which so far, seems to shed light drizzle. We'll have to see as time goes on and winter really kicks in. I was surprised at the level of warmth with this jacket, considering the low bulk of the fabric.

Breathability is excellent, which is a big issue for me. I've always been a heavy perspirer once my engine gets going, and this fabric handles it exceedingly well. On chilly morning bike rides to work, it kept me warm against cold winds, whether I was moving or waiting at a traffic light.

Because of the (intentional) trim fit, there's not a lot of room to layer much underneath. But the low-bulk fabric is excellent as a mid-layer underneath something warmer when needed. At this point, the jacket seems like it would be versatile for a variety of the activities which I participate in... cycling, hiking, snowshoeing, and I look forward to further "testing" as time goes on.

This jacket shows all of the Arc'Teryx hallmarks of quality construction and design, so I expect to get many years out of this jacket, as I have out of all of my Arc'Teryx products.

I am immediately in love with this jacket, and would highly recommend it to anyone who values comfort, warmth, and breathability in a lightweight garment.

If you've owned or used an Arc'teryx Konseal Jacket, please share your experience.