Asolo Expert GV

I have owned my Asolo GVs for several years. I would…

I have owned my Asolo GVs for several years. I would buy them again if given the opportunity.

My use includes regularly hauling packs weighing in excess of 60 pounds, on and off trail, three season mountaineering applications, limited technical and snow travel.

These boots meets most of my expectations; they are light for their duty rating, suitable for heavy hauling on or off trail. The sole is stiff and protects your soles well, due to a shank, so a rocker sole is incorporated into the design. Good support through the ankle section too.  The boot heel and toe have a rubber scuff bumper that protects the uppers from rock cuts while negotiating rough terrain.

They are well crafted and comfortable, like most of the Asolo product line. While not comfy as slippers, they are easy enough on the dogs that I use them as in-camp lounge wear, in lieu of hauling camp foot wear.

I am not a fan of Gore-Tex or other “waterproof” membranes in footwear - foot sweat is as much an issue as water for me. In any case the Gore-Tex doesn’t detract from my satisfaction.

I have two bonafide complaints:

1, The boot welt does not accommodate step-in crampon bindings, albeit it works fine with strap-on crampon binding systems;

2, The top lace grommet exerts some pressure on my calf, but biasing the tongue to that side eliminates the discomfort.

Excellent boot for the price. Bought these online…

Excellent boot for the price.

• Price
  • Solid feel

• Stitching wearing after 6 years!

Bought these online for $285 six years ago and they fit well right out of the box. Unusual. I've got very narrow heels, and have had a little blister issue on one heel after a long day of going uphill. Other than that, NO problems with fit.

Love trekking and climbing in these. Very solid and supportive for foot and ankle. Thankfully a stiff sole for occasional front-pointing. Don't usually go thru water, but have never noticed a problem. Traction is very good.Warm enough for three-season climbing in the Alps. Have not been above 5000 meters, so not sure how warm they'd be up higher than that.

Have loved these boots so much — had them resoled this past summer by the famous Seattle cobbler, and very pleased. Some wear and tear now on the stitching around the forefoot, but it has been a good run.

Welcome to Trailspace, wmbii, and thanks for sharing your Asolo review. I'd love to see some pictures of your boots in your review to see how well they've held up.

Asolo Expert GV

The Expert GV has been discontinued.

The Asolo Expert GV is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new mountaineering boot, check out the best reviewed current models.