Asolo Expert GV

I have owned my Asolo GVs for several years. I would…

I have owned my Asolo GVs for several years. I would buy them again if given the opportunity.

My use includes regularly hauling packs weighing in excess of 60 pounds, on and off trail, three season mountaineering applications, limited technical and snow travel.

These boots meets most of my expectations; they are light for their duty rating, suitable for heavy hauling on or off trail. The sole is stiff and protects your soles well, due to a shank, so a rocker sole is incorporated into the design. Good support through the ankle section too.  The boot heel and toe have a rubber scuff bumper that protects the uppers from rock cuts while negotiating rough terrain.

They are well crafted and comfortable, like most of the Asolo product line. While not comfy as slippers, they are easy enough on the dogs that I use them as in-camp lounge wear, in lieu of hauling camp foot wear.

I am not a fan of Gore-Tex or other “waterproof” membranes in footwear - foot sweat is as much an issue as water for me. In any case the Gore-Tex doesn’t detract from my satisfaction.

I have two bonafide complaints:

1, The boot welt does not accommodate step-in crampon bindings, albeit it works fine with strap-on crampon binding systems;

2, The top lace grommet exerts some pressure on my calf, but biasing the tongue to that side eliminates the discomfort.

Ed

Great lightweight versatile boot. I bought these boots…

Summary

Great lightweight versatile boot.

Pros

• True to size and fit great right out of the box
  • Flexible enough for a comfortable approach, stiff enough for vertical ascent with semi-automatic crampons.
  • Lightweight and versatile

Cons

• Perhaps not a durable as you would like

I bought these boots 8 years ago from REI. I have some challenges with the Italian welt at times. It seems my foot is slightly wide, although never noticed with American shoes. As a result, some Italian models are just too narrow, while other models from the same manufacturer are a great fit.

I bought the Asolo Men’s Expert GV for the spring couloir climbing season in Colorado. For that reason I did not need a heavily insulated boot, but did need waterproof. I did not need a particularly stiff boot but did need semi-automatic crampon compatible.

The couloir season is brief and by the time the snow compacts and is safe to climb and before it melts out, you might get 3 or 4 climbs in, some years only 2. So, I would not say these boots have been heavily used although there is a lot of demanding foot work in couloir climbing and these boots have been put through it.

I climbed the Dragon’s Tail couloir just the other day and came down with wet socks. Ya, they’re leaking now and need to be replaced. I would buy the Asolo Men’s Expert GV again if I could.

Thanks for the review, Richard. What do you think you'll get for a replacement boot?

Excellent boot for the price. Bought these online…

Summary

Excellent boot for the price.

Pros

• Price
  • Solid feel

Cons

• Stitching wearing after 6 years!

Bought these online for $285 six years ago and they fit well right out of the box. Unusual. I've got very narrow heels, and have had a little blister issue on one heel after a long day of going uphill. Other than that, NO problems with fit.

Love trekking and climbing in these. Very solid and supportive for foot and ankle. Thankfully a stiff sole for occasional front-pointing. Don't usually go thru water, but have never noticed a problem. Traction is very good.Warm enough for three-season climbing in the Alps. Have not been above 5000 meters, so not sure how warm they'd be up higher than that.

Have loved these boots so much — had them resoled this past summer by the famous Seattle cobbler, and very pleased. Some wear and tear now on the stitching around the forefoot, but it has been a good run.

Welcome to Trailspace, wmbii, and thanks for sharing your Asolo review. I'd love to see some pictures of your boots in your review to see how well they've held up.

Asolo Expert GV

The Expert GV has been discontinued.

The Asolo Expert GV is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new mountaineering boot, check out the best reviewed current models.