Asolo FSN 85

Comfortable, well fitting boot that I use for light…

Summary

Comfortable, well fitting boot that I use for light hiking and every day.

Pros

• Right sizing
  • Comfortable and light

Cons

• Not waterproof, but water resistant

My go-to boot in most cases. I skip wearing them in very wet, swampy conditions. Very little breaking in, support is good. At 74 years, most of my hiking is on trails or good back roads. No problems, have had these boot for two years.

13 trips down the Grand Canyon on this pair, not a…

Price Paid: $155 I believe

Summary

13 trips down the Grand Canyon on this pair, not a blister! Second pair I have owned. Keep feet warm in winter, summer heat not an issue.

Pros

• Fit right out of the box
  • Ankle support without too much weight
  • Ability to re-sole

Cons

• 2nd pair of soles seemed to wear faster than the first.

I bought first pair of Asolos at Bob's Bargain Bar in Tucson on sale. First trip down the canyon, not a blister! Feet felt light as a feather to the point once we got to our destination I was not racing to unlace like the rest of my group.

When the time came to replace, I visited Summit Hut and spent an hour going over fit with the salesperson.  Second pair of Asolos have lasted even longer than the first and the FX have the ability to get resoled as needed.  Several canyon trips and not an issue.  Have been with many groups that by the end of the day are diving into the moleskin.

Wouldn't buy anything other type and would recommend when the time is right for a new pair of boots. See a store where the salespeople know how to fit a boot to your foot.

I bought these after they were featured in Backpacker…

I bought these after they were featured in Backpacker magazine. First break-in hike gave me blisters, and well deserved ones too. Wrong socks, run/hiking etc. They were very stiff in the beginning. After that they have been very comfortable.

I just went backpacking for a week in the Sierras, and didn't get one blister or hot spot, unlike the five friends I was with. Not waterproof. The sole was slippery on wet rocks, not the best river crossing, rockhopping boot.

I am pretty happy with them overall.

I wore bandaids on my heels for the first 3 or 4 hikes.

I wore bandaids on my heels for the first 3 or 4 hikes. These are narrow in the heels. When I changed inserts to Smartfeet inserts,  I picked up a little more room and now these are my favorite summer/fall boots.

They took a good deal of  breaking in, but now I like them better than any other heavy duty boots I have worn.

I give this boot a 4.5 out of 5 because it does everything…

Materials: Indestructible Rubbermac sole, leather
Use: rugged trail w/ heavy pack, short day hikes, hunting, winter wear, anything!
Break-in Period: about 2 weeks normal wear before a trail at a min-

I give this boot a 4.5 out of 5 because it does everything it is DESIGNED to do. These boots are not waterproof above the sole and leathers (as designed), but they dry fairly quickly with good socks. After a full year of wearing them in all seasons and putting MANY miles on them (trail and off), I am ambivalent about the condition of the boots -- They still look new! Waterproof boots would have been helpful, but I can't justify buying new boots when these are holding up so well.

This is what someone from Asolo had to say reference a question about its shank and sole: "You can look at the FSN 95 on our website for sole and shank information – that will be the same for the FSN 85. Rubbermac is a hiking boot sole manufacturer just like Vibram. Each brand has a full line of different soles for different uses. Shanks are generally not used in hiking boots any longer. A full footprint plastic frame is used that can be better manipulated for which area of the foot is stiff and where the flex point of the boot is."

So, while no Gore-tex is a bummer, a good quality boot for CHEAP is pretty awesome. Overall, I love my boots. (Just stay off hard cement floors!)

These are the first pair of Asolo boots I've ever…

These are the first pair of Asolo boots I've ever owned, and I can see why Asolo enjoys the reputation they have. They are outstanding boots in every respect. After a long break in period, wearing them casually for about three weeks and taking several day hikes in them, they have now formed to my feet like a pair of rugged, handmade slippers.

One caution, however, and the reason I didn't give them 5 out of 5 stars: Asolo's proprietary sole does not like water very much. It can be pretty slick on wet surfaces.

Without a doubt the most comfortable boot I have ever…

Use: work, and day hikes
Break-in Period: none

Without a doubt the most comfortable boot I have ever worn. Worn mine in Alaska for 3 years and are just now beginning to wear out.

Asolo Men's FSN 85

The Men's FSN 85 has been discontinued.

The Asolo Men's FSN 85 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 4, 2014 at Sierra Trading Post.