Asolo Makalu GV

A lightweight, comfortable, technical single-boot…

Source: bought it used

Summary

A lightweight, comfortable, technical single-boot that works well on mixed rock and ice pitches and is quite comfortable on approaches while wearing a 3-day pack full of gear. Although they worked well on snow and rock approaches, save them mainly for the warmer seasons and be sure to size them up a bit to be sure you have toe box room.

Pros

• Agile, lightweight, technical climbing boots
  • Decent break-in time
  • Good traction
  • Good lace system

Cons

• A bit narrow and tight for people who have wider feet

One of the best technical climbing boots I've used. My toes got a little cold during a standard late spring climb of Mt. Shasta, but that is partly my fault as I didn't size up like I normally do. Found the boots used but in like new condition in a size 11 1/2...normally I would have bought them in size 12.

I use them in the warmer seasons for more technical routes where I need to pin-point my feet on narrow routes or climbs that involve more rock climbing over snow and ice climbing.

Asolo Makalu GV

The Asolo Makalu GV is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 28, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new mountaineering boot, check out the best reviewed current models.