Asolo Power Matic 250 NBK V

This is a tough, durable backpacking boot. I do however…

This is a tough, durable backpacking boot. I do however agree with the previous reviewer that the boot does have a lot of room to it, so buyer beware. As mentioned the heel room was too much for me, and after using a thicker sock the toe box became too cramped. After climbing two Colorado 14ers with these boots, I was able to subdue the severity of my heel blisters with mole skin and proper socks/lining. However minor heel blisters still are present. So this was a bit of a hit and miss for me.

If you have the right feet for this fit of boot, it is a tough waterproof boot that will support your heavy backpack and also provide great ankle support.

I walked into my local outdoor store the other day…

Materials: Leather
Use: trail even with heavy pack
Break-in Period: medium
Weight: approx 700 g per shoe

I walked into my local outdoor store the other day and could not find a single mid- to heavy-weight hiking boot without a Gore-tex liner. It's not easy to find modern high-end hiking boots these days without a Gore-tex lining. These Asolos are some of the only ones I could find (others include the Lowa Banff, Garmont Dakota - but I was hoping to find something a bit lighter...). And don't worry, the rest of Asolo's line is filled with models including Gore-tex. Gore-tex in boots has become a scourge.

Don't get me wrong, Gore-tex is a great product. It has its uses. But for me, backpacking/trekking boots is not one of them. If you have an full leather boot, adding a Gore-tex liner makes it far too hot for summer backpacking trips in places like the US Mountain West.

For example, I have been backpacking in the Wind Rivers of Wyoming for years - typically in August. Sure, we have to cross streams and even an occasional snow field. But the need for a waterproof liner is just total overkill for the predominant conditions - hot, dry, rocks, dirt. The one time I did a trip like this in a Gore-tex boot my feet steamed like lobsters. The breathability of Goretex is widely over-estimated.

I was looking for full leather design, vibram soles, full shank. But I also was hoping to save some weight.

These Asolo PowerMatch 250 NBKs seem to fit the bill. They are noticeably lighter than my old Lowa Banffs. They have a full leather upper, they have a nice grippy vibram sole, they have a full-length nylon (plastic) shank. At first glance, they do lack some of the features of some other heavy trekking boots like a rubber rand going around the bottom part of the upper. This might negatively effect longevity. We'll see. In all of my criteria, the Asolos appear to meet my needs.

Worksmanship seems good. There are no signs of manufacturing defects or visible signs of cutting corners to save cost. The tongue is fully gussetted, for example. The hardware seems top-notch (pulley lacing system for example). The internal removable footbed is crap. But then so is the footbed of every other shoe I've bought. I will replace them with an upgraded footbed. The vibram sole is a custom design for Asolo and seems very good. The rubber seems quite grippy - even on wet rocks. And there is some padding in the midsole that gives some relief over long distances. The sole is also slightly rockered for a smooth, rolling walking motion. The overall impression is of a smooth, easy ride when walking on flat trails.

The Asolos have a tall upper section but one that is cut-out at the back to ease strain on the Achilles tendon. This is something that my old Lowas did not have. Nice.

My only complaint with the Asolos so far is fit. The boots are a bit too wide for me in general, and very noticeably too wide for me in the ankle/heel pocket area. Even with heavy socks and laces tightened to the max, I'm afraid I might be getting a bit of heel slip. However, so far on short hikes, I have not had any major problems with hot spots or blisters. I'm expecting to have to pay close attention to my heels in these boots though...

It is for this reason that I am only giving 4 stars. Otherwise, these look like winners.

Visit Asolo's Women's Power Matic 250 NBK V page.

CLOSEOUTS . Asolo's Power Matic 250 nubuck backpacking boots are supportive enough for long days on the trail and tough enough to tackle the roughest terrain. The Power Matic sole utilizes three different polyurethane densities to maximize stability and reduce fatigue. Nubuck upper with gusseted tongue that helps keep out dirt and debris Textile lining Removable EVA-cushioned footbed High-density EVA midsole provides maximum stability Medium-density heel reduces shock and resulting fatigue Vibramand#174; rubber outsole with high-density arch area for superior support Height: 6andquot; Weight: 3 lb. pr. Medium width Made in Romania Visit our Shoe Sizing Guide Available Colors: TUNDRA, DARK BROWN. Sizes: 8, 11.5, 12, 13, 13.5, 10, 7, 7.5, 8.5, 9, 11, 14.

- Sierra Trading Post refers to the men's version

Asolo Power Matic 250 NBK V (Mens) Features UPPER: Water-resistant Nubuck leather 2.2-2.4 mm LINING: Cambrelle LASTING BOARD: Asoflex 00 MR ANATOMIC FOOTBED: Lite 2 SOLE: Power Matic. Rubber bottom Asolo/Vibram - Midsole in PU triple-density FIT: MM/MW WEIGHT: Gr 770 (1/2 pair size 8 UK) Technologies Power Matic Technology Micro Pulley System Vibram

- River Sports Outfitters refers to the men's version

On Sale. Free Shipping. Asolo Men's Power Matic 250 nbk.V Boot DECENT FEATURES of the Asolo Men's Power Matic 250 NBK V Boot Upper: Water resistance Nubuck leather 2,2-2,4 mm Lining: Cambrelle Lasting Board: Asoflex 00 MR Anatomic Footbed: Lite 2 Sole: Power Matic. Rubber bottom Asolo/Vibram - Midsole in PU triple-density Fit: MM/ML Weight: 770 grams (1/2 pair size 8.5 US)

- Moosejaw refers to the men's version

Multidensity Power Matic midsole technology delivers superb stability, cushioning and comfort in these Asolo 250 NBK V backpacking boots. Water-resistant full-grain nubuck leather uppers deliver durable flexibility and support while remaining breathable. Padded and gusseted tongues keep out trail debris and moisture while relieving pressure from laces across insteps. MicroPulley patented lacing system allows efficient performance for easy pulling, reduced abrasion and improved fit and comfort. Scree tongues and padded ankle cuffs add protective comfort at ankles and shins. Cambrelle(R) nylon linings absorb and disperse excess moisture for fast drying. Removable footbeds add cushioning and comfort to one-of-a-kind Power Matic midsole technology. Power Matic midsoles use triple-density polyurethane, co-injected in key areas for superior stability, shock absorption and supportive performance. Asoflex(R) thermoplastic urethane plates provide torsional stability and control while protecting against impact and bruises on rocks and uneven terrain. Durable Vibram(R) outsoles with higher density arch area and high-traction forefoot and heel areas track easily through rough and steep terrain.

- REI refers to the men's version

Asolo Power Matic 250 NBK V

$250.00 (women's)

The Asolo Power Matic 250 NBK V is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 20, 2014 at Sierra Trading Post.