Asolo Reston WP

I really want to like this boot. I went out on a limb…

Summary

I really want to like this boot.

Pros

• Fit
  • Waterproof (taking their word for it)

Cons

• Manufacturing defect?
  • Sole

I went out on a limb and ordered these online, since no store within striking distance carried them. On paper they looked great — a full pound lighter than my current Asolos, while still waterproof and supportive.

I tried them out and walked around clean sidewalks. The fit of the boot felt great, just perfect. They hugged my feet and ankles snugly in all the right ways, and felt flexible but still supportive. I was also impressed with their light weight.

Unfortunately, I also noticed immediately that the liner was hanging loosely off of the inside of the boot right over my toes. It caught on my big toe with every step and yanked it upward. Obviously not OK. I have to wonder if this is a manufacturing defect. I can't imagine it was designed this way.

Also, the sole and especially the heel felt tall, narrow and wobbly to me. It felt awkward on a level surface. Maybe this somehow becomes a good thing on the trail, but I doubt it. I would've liked to have tried them in the dirt, but I had to be able to return them and the saggy liner alone was reason enough.

I really wanted these boots to work for me. Like I said the way they fit felt amazing — Asolo seems to be on to something with their "Natural Shape fit." If the liner was properly attached and the sole was more my style (I like more edging) then I would be in love with these boots and I would've kept them.

If you've owned or used an Asolo Reston WP, please share your experience.