Asolo Tasman XCR

I purchased these shoes over a year ago and commuted…

Materials: xcr, vibram sole
Use: hiking, mt. biking, bike commuting, walk commuting
Break-in Period: none
Weight: ?

I purchased these shoes over a year ago and commuted daily in Seattle in excess of 8 miles in rain, snow, and sun on both bike and foot. Additionally I wore them mt. biking and hiking on many weekends during the year. They are starting to show some wear now, but have been the absolute best outdoor shoe that I've ever owned. I'm really very impressed and am looking forward to getting an identical replacement in the next few months.

First the downside. My ankles had a tendency to roll…

Use: fast hiking w/ light pack
Break-in Period: over 10 miles
Weight: Unknown

First the downside. My ankles had a tendency to roll outwards with the Tasman XCR. Thankfully, I have strong ankles and use trekking poles when I hike. I certainly wouldn't trail run in these. The shoe runs wide, and I replaced the flimsy factory footbeds (I haven't bought a pair of shoes with decent footbeds yet) with Super Feet green insoles. These are for high-volume shoes and took up some of the space, but I was still close to lacing these as far as they could go. Stay away from these if you have narrow feet.

The shoes are a bit stiff out of the box, so that may contribute to some of the roll and a bit of heel slippage. The XCR lining on these is great. I purchased these to replace a pair of Nike Air Teocalis (I still love them, and will use them in dry weather) that have begun to leak.

Even with some of these shortcomings, I'm pleased with the shoes. They are made well, have good traction, and are nice in sloppy conditions. Get a pair of Super Feet green insoles (not the blue), wear thick socks, and mind your ankles and the shoes will serve well.

Overall a decent, but not great, all-purpose shoe.

Overall a decent, but not great, all-purpose shoe. I have used this shoe for light hikes and short jogs and they have held up well. The Gore-Tex XCR functions well as it breathes better then older Gore-Tex lined shoes. Shoe is relatively well put together. The shoe appears narrow, but this was not a problem for me and I was pleased with the high instep which was comfortable for my high arch.

My major quip is with the midsole construction. The midsole is thin and relatively unsupportive and midly cushioned, so the shoe is not the most comfortable I have worn in this category. I personally find lowa light hikers, such as Tempest and Klondike to be more supportive and better cushioned because of their more substantial polyurethane midsole.

Breathable, waterproof protection in a rugged off-road package, these versatile shoes offer serious comfort in the backwoods or on wet city streets. Durable split-grain leather and nylon uppers provide lightweight flexibility and smooth-fitting comfort for active use. Highly breathable Gore-Tex® XCR® liners are seam-sealed for maximum water-resistance. Wicking polyester linings help disperse excess moisture for fast drying; padded tongues and collars protect ankles and relieve lace pressure. Removable footbeds provide extra cushioning and have wicking topsheets; padded and gusseted tongues relieve lace pressure and keep out debris. ASOsorb polypropylene midsole supports control flex, add torsional rigidity and protect feet on uneven terrain; shock absorbers embedded in heels. Dual-density EVA midsoles provide soft cushioning and shock absorption for all-day use. Asolo-Vibram® Olympus rubber outsoles with lateral lug design and Asobrake system for dependable traction and braking on loose ground.

Free Shipping. Asolo Men's Tasman XCR Shoe (Fall 2006) Specifications for the Tasman XCR by Asolo Upper water resistant suede 1.4-1.6+ mm. Polyester Inner lining GORE-TEX XCR Sole Asolo/Vibram Olympus (rubber-Eva) Weight 430 gr. (1/2 pair, size 8)

Sleek styling and waterproof/breathable weather protection in a lightweight, highly cushioned trail shoe. Water-resistant suede/polyester upper. Polyester inner lining dries quickly. Gore-Tex XCR membrane blocks out rain while still allowing sweat to escape. Midsole achieves optimal torsional rigidity with the strategic combination of soft and rigid elements. Vibram Olympus outsole for superior traction on loose ground.

- EMS

CLOSEOUTS . Great for light hikes (or short runs), this weatherproof hiking shoe from Asolo is extra breathable thanks to waterproof Gore-Tex® XCR® technology. Dual-density EVA midsoles provide cushioning and shock absorption, while controlling flex -- with just enough torsional rigidity for varying terrain. Asobrake offers reliable traction and braking on loose ground Water-resistant suede and synthetic uppers Wicking polyester lining Vibram® Olympus outsole Weight: 2 lb. 6 oz. pr. Medium width CLOSEOUTS . China.

- Sierra Trading Post

Asolo Tasman XCR

The Tasman XCR has been discontinued.

The Asolo Tasman XCR is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 3, 2007 at REI.