After trying on several boots, I settled on the Asolo…

Materials: Perwanger leather, gore-tex
Use: multi-day backpacking, dayhikes
Break-in Period: maybe 15 hours, in- and out-doors
Weight: unknown
Price Paid: $245 (CDN)

After trying on several boots, I settled on the Asolo 575. I wasn't sure what Perwanger leather was, but finally got word from the Asolo people and decided it is good (it's just full-grain with the rough side out, rather than smooth side out. This apparently handles scuffs better, as well as giving it a different look).

I wore these around the house for a week or so, then used them on some day hikes to help break them in. I only had one blister the whole time, and that was only after a prolonged steep decent on the bottom of a big toe.

Recently I spent a very rainy week on Chilkoot Trail in Alaska with a group of seven friends. Besides the rain, there were many stretches of snow and ankle-deep creeks. After the worst day of all this water, I was the only one with dry feet at the end of the day. Of note, all of us had treated our boots with Nikwax before leaving on the trip. (Note: I used the full-grain nikwax, which does darken the Perwanger noticably, but I really don't care about cosmetics when choosing hiking boots...actually I thought they looked better dark!).

I don't know if it was the Gore-tex or just the fact that my boots were newer than most of my friends', but my dry feet were the envy of all others. Also, I had no blisters during the trip. So I love these boots so far, and the Gore-tex seems to be a good thing.

Asolo TPS 575 GV

The TPS 575 GV has been discontinued.

The Asolo TPS 575 GV is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 27, 2006 at Moosejaw.

Gregory Citro 25 Review