Astral Wondervest

A great compact vest for paddlesports. I bought this…

Source: bought it used

Summary

A great compact vest for paddlesports.

Pros

• No zippers!
  • Nice big pocket
  • Adjustable fit
  • Short torso

I bought this used on eBay on a hunch that I would like the design...and I really have taken to it. I never liked fiddling with zippers on a PFD and now I much prefer pulling this on over my head. Plus, there is no zipper to break or go bad!

The straps loosen and tighten very easily for a secure fit. Also, it is very short in the torso. It's made to fit a woman (who tend to have much shorter torsos, like myself) but anyone who paddles using a skirt will appreciate that this PFD doesn't push down on your skirt as much.

I like the simple, big pocket in the front. It also has a space for a water bladder in the back but I have not used this feature. Additionally, the front pocket has a space behind it that is advertised as a hand warmer. It hasn't come in useful in Florida yet but perhaps someday it will.

I was concerned that the fleece would get mildewy or not dry well, but so far this has not been a problem. It's possible to cut out the fleece lining if you don't like it I think.

It's too bad Astral stopped making this PFD since I think it's a really nice design. Perhaps you too can find one on eBay for cheap.

CLOSEOUTS . The Astral Wondervest PFD life jacket provides the ease and simplicity of a low-profile, pull-on life vest, without zippers or buckles to get hung up or break. It's also cut shorter in front and back to accommodate a woman's torso. Designed for kayaking, canoeing and general boating (Independent Shoulder Suspension) for better freedom of movement Flotection impact-resistant foam in the back and sides protects ribs and upper spine EZ-Reach side adjustments allow you to customize the fit easily Large cargo pocket with hook-and-loop closure Hydration compatible Fleece handwarmers USCG Classification: Type V Buoyancy: 16.5 lb. Weight: 1 lb. 12 oz. Capacity: 90+ lb. Material: Shell: 500 denier Cordura(R) nylon Lining: 200 denier nylon Pocket lining: Polypropylene Hardware: Composite with nylon webbing Flotation: PE foam and Evalite(R) foam Made in USA Visit our Kayaking Gear Guide

- Sierra Trading Post

Astral Wondervest

The Astral Wondervest is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 15, 2010 at Sierra Trading Post.

If you're looking for a new life jacket/pfd, check out the best reviewed current models.