Atlas 10+ Series

I have a pair of 1030s that I bought in Utah for light…

Price Paid: 185 USD

I have a pair of 1030s that I bought in Utah for light powder and heavy gear loads. They performed admirably flotation-wise in the `greatest snow on earth` for skiers - that is to say, very light, non-compact substrate. The crampons are sufficiently aggressive, and the weight distribution on them is very even.

My one, big, large complaint is about the quick bindings. Allegedly they're fast to take on and off, but this is only true if you can sit down while doing so. Pulling them on, you have to make sure the pressure is even across the toe of the boot, and that the strap is out of the way when you're finished (The included loop rarely holds the excess strap for very long).

To take them off, I would sometimes need to de-glove to get the fine manipulation that the bindings require. The back-most strap needs stomped on so it doesn't get caught when you pull your foot out.

Also, make sure you get a size appropriate for your travel. My 1030s were fantastic for extremely light powder, but here in Fairbanks, AK, where the snow is very dense, the extra tail can be like a boat anchor.

Excellent for the first snowshoe I've ever owned or…

Excellent for the first snowshoe I've ever owned or used. I took it on a 5 mile hike on the Link Trail in Central New York (part of the North Country Trail). Had some good climbs and descents. The shoes never need adjusting and I like the way they handled when I was breaking trail.

Excellent shoe and I probably wouldn't have had trouble putting the adjustment straps into their holder if I had not been rushing to catch up with everyone.

If you've owned or used an Atlas 10+ Series, please share your experience.

Atlas 10+ Series

The 10+ Series has been discontinued.

The Atlas 10+ Series is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new backcountry snowshoe, check out the best reviewed current models.