This was my first snowshoe purchase in over 30 years.

This was my first snowshoe purchase in over 30 years. I decided to go to a synthetic model rather than traditional wood shoes because I read that they were more durable and required zero maintenance.

My Atlas shoes performed very well in all conditions. I noticed a big difference between them and my old shoes when ascending and decending steep slopes. Flotation was excellent. They worked well in wooded areas.

However, durability was a concern. I had a couple of short treks on hard and crusty snow. I noticed abrasion at the fabric attachment points between the decking and the metal frame. It was most severe at the back of the shoe. I will be sending them back to Atlas for evaluation and hopefully they will honour their one year warrantee. I feel they will have to rethink the design of the attachment points.

Other than this one problem the shoe performed very well in a wide variety of conditions. I hope that they correct the problem that I noted in this evaluation.

Atlas 36 Series

The 36 Series has been discontinued.

The Atlas 36 Series is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new backcountry snowshoe, check out the best reviewed current models.

Granite Gear Air Zippditty Review