Atlas 36 Series

This was my first snowshoe purchase in over 30 years.

This was my first snowshoe purchase in over 30 years. I decided to go to a synthetic model rather than traditional wood shoes because I read that they were more durable and required zero maintenance.

My Atlas shoes performed very well in all conditions. I noticed a big difference between them and my old shoes when ascending and decending steep slopes. Flotation was excellent. They worked well in wooded areas.

However, durability was a concern. I had a couple of short treks on hard and crusty snow. I noticed abrasion at the fabric attachment points between the decking and the metal frame. It was most severe at the back of the shoe. I will be sending them back to Atlas for evaluation and hopefully they will honour their one year warrantee. I feel they will have to rethink the design of the attachment points.

Other than this one problem the shoe performed very well in a wide variety of conditions. I hope that they correct the problem that I noted in this evaluation.

If you've owned or used an Atlas 36 Series, please share your experience.

Atlas 36 Series

The 36 Series has been discontinued.

The Atlas 36 Series is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new backcountry snowshoe, check out the best reviewed current models.