Atlas Elektra 9 Series

Granted, these are my first pair of snowshoes, but…

Summary

Granted, these are my first pair of snowshoes, but I am quite pleased with them! I thought they perform well and I don't have the problem of snow being kicked up from the back. I've done just a little running with them so far, but hope to do more.

Pros

• Very light
  • Great width (no worries about stepping on the other shoe)
  • Crampons can handle some pretty big hills/icy conditions

Cons

• A little stiff to take off, especially when straps get cold

All I remember about snowshoeing were those horrible wooden, tennis racket/boat things we wore in Phys Ed in junior high 30 years ago. Based on friends telling me I had to try it again and hoping to be able to try some snow shoe running or at least maintain some cardiovascular fitness over the winter, I found these for a good price.

I was immediately surprised how light they were and happy that I didn't need to use a wide stance while walking with them. Defininitely proportionate to women's bodies. Straps were easy to maneuver when warm (putting them on) but tougher to take them off when cold. Maybe that's the norm for all of them? Crampons seem substantial and I trust them for hills and icy areas.

Anxious to start running in them. I originally bought them as an entry level snow shoe, but I'm thinking they might do the trick for all I want them to do (hiking and running).

So far, very happy with them!

Terrible design. The open spaces in the back collect…

Terrible design. The open spaces in the back collect snow, and the suspension mechanism flips it up.   I was soaked in less than 10 min.

Also, the hard plastic binding is hard to fit when it's cold--it gets stiff and unruly. My husband has Tubbs and I used them without any snow flipping, and a very easy, comfortable fit around my boots.  Would not recommend this product.

Back to the drawing board, Atlas.

Visit Atlas's Elektra 9 Series page.

A new era in Atlas suspension! The Elektra 9 Series FRS snowshoe uses a patent-pending Free-Rotating Suspension for natural articulation of the foot over uneven and sidehill terrain with minimal resistance providing the most comfortable, forgiving stride. FRS flexes the womens-specific shape of the 6061 aluminum proprietary V-Frame with each step, giving the toe traction deeper purchase. The flexible Wrapp womens bindings tighten easily and cradle the foot securely. Even in the dead cold of winter, the Nytex decking is both flexible and durable. Whether youre new to snowshoeing or looking for Atlas technology at a great value, the new Elektra 9 Series FRS is built to explore winters rolling terrain.

- CampSaver.com

The Atlas Elektra 927 snowshoes feature a women-specific design to ensure comfort and efficiency when strolling across snowscapes.

The new women's Atlas Elektra 9 features Free-Rotating(TM) Suspension (FRS) for natural stride with minimal resistance. The comfortable new Wrapp(TM) Trail bindings uses smooth strap routing that cradles the foot securely. The Elektra women's design grew from a two-year biomechanics research program A proprietary Atlas shape, the sturdy aluminum V-Frames are the key to an efficient, natural stride The Tri-Cleat provides three planes of grip for security on rolling terrain and a no-twist step 23 in: 80 - 160 lbs, 27 in: 120 - 200 lbs

- OMCgear

When the going gets deep, the deep get trampled by the Atlas Women's Electra 9 Series FRS Snowshoe. For the backcountry snow trekker who doesn't want to be confined to the shallows, here's a snowshoe that will flex, bend, and roll with the least resistance and natural feel. And when the going gets icy, there's the tenacious bite of a steel crampon. Plus, it's shaped just for you, you narrow-heeled, tapered-tail snow-chaser.